Cult or Religion

by Richard C B 225 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    Londo111
    (True…which is why the best people to consult would be those who study cults, like Hassan, Lipton, Festinger and other trained professionals, rather than say...Joe Sixpack)

Guilty as charge. That's the problem when we are still in, we only listen to what the GB said a cult was. The only difference is the GB don't have a sixpack.

fat stomach photo: fat stomach fatstomach.jpg

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

What happens is many will have a threshold for the questioning. How its said and whats said. When you realize as a member how much you actually have to censor your words and thoughts, you start to realize they had way more control than you ever thought.

When you see the Cognitive Dissonance alarms go off full blast the first time, there is no doubt in your mind what the JW organization is. It looks like John Aquila's pic which made me laugh out loud

• Giordano
    Giordano

On the contrary, we pattern our worship after that of the first-century Christians, whose example and teachings were recorded in the Bible. (2 Timothy 3:16, 17) We believe that the Holy Scriptures should be the authority on what is orthodox in matters of worship.

Here is what they left out.......... "as defined by the WTBTS through the faithful and discreet slave the Governing Body.

As far as the holy scriptures goes just like every other religion they have their own version of holy scripture that slants a number of scriptures towards their POV.

Jehovah’s Witnesses do not look to any human as their leader.

That is not true once again they are required to Believe in the leadership of the GB.

Are they a cult? In terms of what they actually say and their ability to be reckless with the health and welfare of their followers...... yes as they use cult defined coercive practices to keep their members in line. Spirituality is not as important as is obedience.

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    @cofty,, i dont think they put it like that. but point taken.
  • Londo111
    Londo111

Richard:

Again, I believe if you read a few unbiased books on the subject, like Combating Cult Mind Control, you will be in a better position to discuss this matter.

Someone posted this link that quotes JW publications, but I believe I will post it again for your benefit. When you are a JW can you question the leadership?

Read this:

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/fear-cult-mind-control.php

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    When I was waking I watched a documentary from inside North Korea, now that is not a religion, but I was floored by the similarities the religion of my birth shared. Why do they do it? Totalitarian control. So undue influence/high control doesn't need to even be a religion. Or completely believed, like scientology, its science fiction for Xenu's sake!
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

how is it you all think the GB are leaders when they themselves have said they are not

Actions speak louder than words.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. If a baptized brother or sister said aloud in the kingdom hall "I disagree with the GB on such and such a teaching", do you honestly think their public disagreement would pass without repercussions?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Richard, what is your agenda in defending the JWs?
  • Richard C B
    Richard C B
    @ LONDO111 I agree with you about an unbiased view, im not gonna get that here.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

Meditate on the double speak

We don't call it the rapture now...

We weren't wrong, we are just more refined now...

We are not permissive to pedophiles...

One of the best was the summary of TM3's morning worship, this is what it amounted to and is classic watchtower thinking:

We are not dogmatic, of course you should be able to question what you believe, that is why you must obey us, because we already questioned things for you.

When you are in and not thinking about it, these types of presentation just don't sink in, when you see it for what it is, wow, look out. I can't even sit through the meetings and watchtower without being mad at myself for hearing all this for so many years and not really "hearing" it. Does that make sense?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit