Cult or Religion

by Richard C B 225 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Also since i do feel you are sincere in your questions, something to start to really dwell on is the way they speak about things. Often referred here as "double speak". Not that double speak makes you a cult in of its self, but it lends to things they use to deny being a High control group that fits the model.

Ie; our leader is jesus. When you really get attuned to the way the phrase things you realize they flat out lie about things, or present it in a way that does back flips to make the answer seem correct. Just because they say does NOT mean they practice it. At your baptism you swear yourself to THEM (the gb), if you tell your elders you disagree with THEM, THEY will have you banished.

At the ARC Geoffery Jackson made it seem like he had no idea what was going on, and doesn't have anything to do with policy, in fact other GB member on the stand have similarly played as if they were nobody, but within the group... we know what really goes on, they are calling shots, making policy, enforcing it.

• Dissonant15
    Dissonant15
    More and more in the professional and scholarly communities, the term "cult" is shied away from as antiquated and derogatory, like a racial slur (think, the "n" word). The preferred terminology is "High Control Groups." Which, if you read any of the literature by the leading authorities, including Hassan et al., WT/JWs do fit the criteria of a High Control Group.
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Agree with Londo111. The level of danger of a cult can not be measured in the absolute. At least ISIS tells you up front they hate you and they want to kill you. It should be no surprise when and if you see them come towards you with a sword.

In the other hand, a cult that appeals to your better nature to potentially set you up in a trap like this, is much more heinous of a crime. Much more especially when they delight themselves on children (child baptism)

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Is true but I think the name change (from cult to high control group) is an attempt to political correctness that undermines the effort to save people from cults. Such change may have an influence from the cults themselves. Softening or changing the name or definition of a word when the common understanding of the old name is well understood is a tactic of cults.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

If you want to find out if your religion is a High Control cult or not, find out what it takes to leave.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

I personally try not to use the word cult anymore. If you use that word with a JW, they will run the 100 yard dash in 9 seconds flat. And that includes grandmothers. I have found that if I use the term "High Control Groups." they will at least listen to what I have to say.

• cofty
    cofty
    @cofty about the disfellowshiping, Ill throw it back to you why do you think its relevant?

"Do not question us or we will cut you off from all of your friends and family"

What could be more cult-like?

• Londo111
    Londo111
    I agree. I would never use the c-word with a JW...unless they are awakening and ready to hear it.
  • Richard C B
    Richard C B
    @freemindfade,,, that does concern me if it true. That you cant question things. Its disconcerting I will have to research this more.
  • Richard C B
    Richard C B
    @ John, Good advice John

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit