Cult or Religion

by Richard C B 225 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Richard C B
    Richard C B

What is a cult and what is a religion? Its open to debate. Who has the authority to say for certain what is a cult and what is a religion? I think that the individual creates the cult status in his or hers mind from personal experience and how that particular person has allowed themselves to be conditioned and how they have personally interpreted how the religion has had an impact on there life over a period of time. The cult status is only evident to them when they leave that said religion and become resentful and regret choices they have made because at the time they made decisions which may have been greatly influenced by there beliefs. Or someone may after leaving that said religion, on bad terms, have an axe to grind and go out of there way to convince themselves and others its a cult.

Just throwing it out there maybe my opinion is wrong I dont know but what do you guys think?

• cofty
    cofty

It is not a binary choice. There is a continuum from high control groups like scientology all the way to liberal universalists at the other end.

Every religion has cultish features. Every member gives up some measure of intellectual freedom in order to be part of the group.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Who has the authority to say for certain what is a cult and what is a religion?

Well, there you go. Who does?

As with all these things it is down to the individual to decide for themselves. Confirmation bias is our own deciding factor. Whatever the watchtower can be described as, it's very dangeraous and delusional.

As Cofty suggests, the question in the thread is bifurcated.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

The JW religion isn't a benign little sect. It's an insidious and damaging cult that destroys family's, to put it lightly

• Richard C B
    Richard C B

@ cofty, Every religion has cultish features. Every member gives up some measure of intellectual freedom in order to be part of the group.

Yes i agree with you but this principle could be applied to none religious pursuits.

What about a professional footballer for example, he would have to give up certain freedoms to be part of the team and be governed by rules I.E he would have to abstain from over excesses and stick to fitness regime. we could say then this has cultish features.

@ punkenice I agree with you its very much an individual choice so your point that the watchtower is dangerous and delusional is conflicting with your point.

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    2+2=5,, I think you missed the point of the topic, but thanks for your input
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    @ punkenice I agree with you its very much an individual choice so your point that the watchtower is dangerous and delusional is conflicting with your point.

Ah, but that IS my point. That although it's down to individuals.....as an individual myself (I think there's only one of me),...that is my view. I was being ironic. You'll get used to me.

• cofty
    cofty
    What about a professional footballer for example...

Agreeing to abide by the rules of a sport and regulating your lifestyle to maximise your physical fitness is not cultish.

It's the groupthink that is the problem. Yes you're right this is not limited to religion.

Watch a football crowd react to an incident on the pitch to see a blatant example of mindless groupthink. I have coached football for 20 years and I love the game with a passion but have never supported a team.

Nationalism has a similar effect and even some businesses encourage cult-like thinking by their employees.

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    @punkofnice ok, but what led up to your personal conclusion? if you dont mind me asking.
  • Richard C B
    Richard C B

Yes excellent point Cofty. I see what your saying there about the "groupthink" scenario.

There is a negative conitation in your reasoning about "groupthink" or unity of thinking. This is not always the case. Can you expand your reasoning to apply that to religion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit