Have you ever lied for your boss/employer?

by cellomould 7 Replies latest jw friends

• cellomould
    cellomould

My girlfriend was asked by her boss to lie.

It was a stupid little unnecessary lie in my opinion. But I perceived it could have huge consequences if she were caught.

Because she signed a non-disclosure agreement, I was not supposed to find out about this. But I suppose her brain was tingling from doubts about putting her good name on the line to make someone else happy.

I tried to talk to her last night...I told her that she needs to stand up to him because he is trying to test her loyalty.

Instead of wanting to discuss ways to speak her opinions, she wanted to blow it off by saying 'I could just get a new job'.

So, I ask again...

Have you ever lied to please your boss?

cellmould

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The question really is: Who hasn't? I've some of the worst bosses in the world, some of the best. Right now, I have a wonderful boss who I deeply respect...which btw, is a 2 way street.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

As Tres noted, who hasn't.

If you are a secretary and the boss tells you that is Mr. X calls, tell him I am out. Do you say no and put the call through?

What if they ask you to shred docs that you know will implicate them in an SEC scandel?

Different, yet same thing. Your ethics are on the line.

What to do? That is something that depends on the situation and the person being put on the line.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

That reminded me of when I worked as a bookeeper for a construction company. My boss gave me a pile of bills that were paid and wrote the dates on the envelopes when I could mail them out. He told me when they called to ask if I had paid the bills I was to say yes, give the date they were paid on and say they must be lost in the mail. Gawd I hated doing that.

Also he had a list a mile long of people he didn't want to talk to on the phone, I always said "he's not in right now", technically he wasn't, he was in another room.

I got fired when I found out that his assistant was imbezelling from him. She did some double entry stuff to my books, it was so obvious I knew I hadn't made such a huge mistake. She seemed so surprised I didn't say anything about her shinanagins when I left. I figued they deserved each other and walked out with my head high. Found out a couple of years later the company went belly up, d'oh!

I was glad to get out of there, it was a small town and that company had a bad reputation with all the banks and venders. I hated saying I worked for them.

Katie

• TR
    TR

My "spiritual" boss, the P.O. of one cong I went to tried to get me to fudge the accounts to make them look better to the cong. I was shocked and said NO! Shortly thereafter, I quit handling the accounts for that cong. Shortly after that, I left the org completely.

TR

• Hamas
    Hamas

All the time.

I have more or less become immune to lying. Once I went to get my hair cut so I was late for work in the morning. Yet another lateness was confronted with a disciplinary, In which I told my boss the reason why I was late ; that being my little sister was in fact on KIDNEY TREATMENT and that she woke up in the middle of the night complaining of severe pains. According to my version of events, I spent the night down accident and emergancy ( otherwise known to you yanks as the ER ) out of sheer worry because the last time she went to see a doctor, they told us that the next pain she has will be very serious.

Outlined here is the lie ;- I DONT HAVE A LITTLE SISTER !

All that for a lousy haircut.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

There was a sexual harassment issue that came up when I was working as a supervisor at a cold storage distribution center. I wasnt directly involved, but it was reported to me. There are a lot of details. I'll spare them. But to make a long story short, my company asked me to sign a false statement saying that the gal never said anything to me about it. I wasnt a JW then, but in good conscience I couldnt do it. Oddly enough I was "laid off" about 2 months later.

• cellomould
    cellomould

Thanks for all the replies

Yet what an ugly mess telling lies can be

The problem with my girlfriend is that her name and university affiliation are attached to the lie. My question is 'why does the boss not use a pseudonym, or his daughter's name, or his own name, if he wants to lie?'

It is very unfair, especially if he wants to do something illegal and does not tell her. This is quite possible, as it concerns proprietary information.

CHEVYSNTATS: good to hear from you...I am so proud of you

Hamas: I feel bad for telling my research advisor that my roomate commited suicide. And that really happened.

TR: I have heard the accounts servant has the worst job. Did you ever have to come up with money to cover the literature that the JWs thought were supported by 'voluntary donations'?

bikerchic: howdy... Did your boss find out he was being taken for a ride?

teenyuck: good point. even when looking from the vantage of pure self-interest...it is rarely advantageous to lie often...but being absolutely honest all the time would be quite difficult

cellmould

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit