King James Bible and the WTS

by robhic 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• robhic
    robhic

I could swear I saw a quote or something saying that years ago (obviously before the NWT) the WTS considered the King James version of the Bible as the best one available.

I posed this question on another group and so far have had no luck. It may have very well been on this site somewhere but I have back-tracked as much as I can and still haven't found the post I saw this in.

Anybody have any ideas or know where this statement can be found? If it's real, is this true?

Thanks for any help,

Robert

• Chap
    Chap

I was never a JW but I believe that only in the last 40 to 50 years have there been noteworthy Bible Translations in English other than the King James Version.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Before the Society came out with their own translation, I believe good Dubs used the King James Version for the most part. My mom had one that she used, and I still have it (complete with the page I ripped when I was a year old).

Nina

• Valis
    Valis

Something I found, which may help your thread with some history from one point of view, not mine but what appeared to be somewhat of look back on from whence some of the newer translations have spawned and how some of the newer kinds of translations differ. About the only thing I use the bible for now is reading Jeremiah 25:27 and occassionally using one of the blank beginning pages in the event I run out of zig-zags..

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/013/5.28.html

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• robhic
    robhic

Something I found, which may help your thread with some history from one point of view, not mine but what appeared to be somewhat of look back on from whence some of the newer translations have spawned and how some of the newer kinds of translations differ. About the only thing I use the bible for now is reading Jeremiah 25:27 and occassionally using one of the blank beginning pages in the event I run out of zig-zags..

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/013/5.28.html

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Thanks for the interesting link. It does add some perspective but I am sure that I saw the original statement about the WTS praising the KJV taken from a WTS publication. I just can't remember which one or where, exactly, I saw it.

And thanks to the others who offered their ideas and opinions, too.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Did they not use the 'American Standard Version' because of their use of the divine name?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The Society purchased the printing rights to a number of Bible translations. The KJ, American Standard, Byington, Emp. Diaglott, and others. The JWs like almost all protestants of the time used the KJ extensively. They did not then however accept it as inspired translating and often sited obscure varient translations. This of course culminated in the printing of the NWT. Since that time it alone is to be used in student and public talks. This is sometimes ignored when a neat loose wording fits the speakers applicaion even better than the NTW. These latter were always used selectively to offer credibility to various teaching including the use of Jehovah.

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

Hi Rob.

The two most used versions of the bible are.....The revised King James version and the New Internationl version. I use the New International Version. It is preference. I do know that in the King James Version there are some verses in chapters that are not in the New International Version. I wrote both printing companys and looked up some info on web sites about those scriptures.

Basically, those few verses are questionable as to whether they were orginal. Even the King James version has them either italized or noted..

Either one is good so long as it is not the NWT. There are places that it is indeed altered. If you would like to know where some of the changes are let me know. I would be glad to show you.

[email protected]

• bk62
    bk62

GM, I for one would be very interested to see any and all changes / inconsistencies you've uncovered. Thanks!

The two most used versions of the bible are.....The revised King James version and the New Internationl version. I use the New International Version. It is preference. I do know that in the King James Version there are some verses in chapters that are not in the New International Version. I wrote both printing companys and looked up some info on web sites about those scriptures.

Basically, those few verses are questionable as to whether they were orginal. Even the King James version has them either italized or noted..

Either one is good so long as it is not the NWT. There are places that it is indeed altered. If you would like to know where some of the changes are let me know. I would be glad to show you.

[email protected]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit