Planning my next steps...

by schnell 2 Replies latest jw friends

• schnell
    schnell

I work a little over 40 hours per week, but I recognize that all good things are due to end. I actually got to meet my company president this week, and she's a very nice lady who is very nicely offering $5000 yearly scholarships to her employees and their families. I don't have a degree, though I did get a nice college experience before I dropped out, and I'm considering online university.

For starters, I could probably afford the Computer Science undergrad program at University of the People. There's a lot of automation coming to my line of work, and I'd be interested in what hybrid opportunities a CS degree could get me, if any. My wife could use the scholarship for her own degree, and I am genuinely serious about selling plasma to help pay for school.

More artistically, writing a book sounds like a lot of work-fun, and I'd love to pursue Aikido if I can manage the time in a dojo. Tai chi, too.

Our kids are going to university. Period. No questions. They'll grow up with a regard for religion from their mother, as did Marcus Aurelius, but they will go off and learn for themselves about the world. I'll even start investment accounts in their name so they don't have to worry as much about cost when they're 18.

I still remember learning the truth about evolution in a basic college biology class. I should never, ever have dropped out.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

That's great. Put the opportunity to good use. If may, it's definitely your call, and I know how important it's for parents who didn't have the opportunity to further their education to want their children to take advantage of every opportunity. That said, please listen to your children. Not all are college material and not everyone makes if big through college. Keep an open mind and listen if any of your children tells you that (s)he has no interest in college.

Forcing kids to college is as bad as denying it for those who do want to go.

• schnell
    schnell

That said, please listen to your children. Not all are college material and not everyone makes if big through college. Keep an open mind and listen if any of your children tells you that (s)he has no interest in college.

Forcing kids to college is as bad as denying it for those who do want to go.

That's true. I understand that. My words are more an expression of sincere will. Once they're adults, there's very little that I can rightly do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit