Jesus Tempted in a Vision?

by outnfree 0 Replies latest watchtower bible

• outnfree
    outnfree

In the 10/8/2000 Awake! in an article on "'Extreme Sports'- Should You Take the Risk? the article talks about how "both David and Jesus recognized that it was wrong in God's eyes to take unnecessary risks that could endanger human life." (1 Chronicles 11:17-19; Matthew 4:5-7).

The article states regarding Jesus: "Jesus reacted in a similar manner [to David] when, likely in a vision, the Devil tempted him to throw himself off the battlement of the temple to see if the angels would protect him from injury. Jesus responded: 'You must not put Jehovah your God to the test.'" (italics mine)

The QFR reads:

"You stated that Satan's temptation of Jesus was 'likely in a vision.' Were not the temptations actual experiences?"

The reply:
    "Several aspects of the Bible account are problematic if taken literally. For example, there is no mountain tall enough for Satan to show Jesus 'all the kingdoms of the world and their glory.' Nor is it likely that Jesus would allow Satan literally to 'take him along into the holy city' or to station him 'upon the battlements of the temple.' (Matthew 4:5-8) Evidently, then, some sort of vision was involved. However it was performed, Satan's temptation of Christ was real. Jesus' refusal to succumb to such temptation demonstrated his unbreakable integrity. -- ED.

Now, I've always thought that 40 days and 40 nights in the desert with no food would likely put Jesus into some sort of trance. The temptation was real, because Satan was real and powerful and Christ knew that he was able to GIVE him all the temporal power he mentioned. In fact, to my mind, any literal mountain top (Mt. Zion?)would have done, because, yes, all the kingdoms of the world would need to have appeared in a vision of some sort.

My question is: Is this the first time that you've read anything in the Society's publications about Jesus being tempted in a vision?

Also, despite Satan's strength and position, Jesus was something greater, so why does the Society say that it is unlikely Jesus would go literally to Jerusalem with Satan to the temple battlements? Why not?

outnfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit