Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of the Pax Americana

by digderidoo 5 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

The link is an article in todays Sunday Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-6047-645452,00.html

With all the threads about anti and pro america with regards to the Iraq war, i would be interested to see what posters think of this article, in particular those in the US.

Post Cold War, capitalism has spread throughout the world, this in itself is seen by some as a world empire. But now, witht the rhetoric we now hear from Washington, with the 'success' of the Iraq War, many now wonder who's next in the firing line and when will it end.

Are we now seeing the beginning of an 'American Empire'?

Dig

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Short answer: no. The Yanks will bring their troops home, like they have after every engagement they've been involved in.

• Gopher
    Gopher

The article itself showed that America didn't bring home the troops from Germany and Japan for several years until things stabilized after WW 2. History shows that great success followed in these lands. If Bush is comparing the current Iraq situation to Germany and Japan, he may be (overtly or subtly) suggesting that the American mood of relaxation and jubilation must now give way to a prolonged stabilization period in the region of Iraq.

Under more recent American administrations, the "short-termism" of the American presence, as accurately described by this British reporter, led to disaster -- especially in Somalia.

As to whether other countries will provoke the American coalition, I think not so -- at least in the near term. I found it very revealing how soon after Baghdad was conquered that the North Koreans gave up their hard-line stance against talks with the American government!! Maybe they were paying attention to what happened in Baghdad. (This is not to state that North Korea would be the pushover Iraq was, but still the outcome would still be more likely to swing the American coalition's way than not.)

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

The good old, "United States of Great Britian" is still fooling the people. The partial quote in the last paragraph neatly sums it up. 'Here in New York absent-mindedness is not the problem. More like downright denial".

Guest 77

• metatron
    metatron

No one seems to realize that an hour of judgement has arrived for Islamic countries. Simply trying to encourage them

towards democracy doesn't work - they elect Saddam Husseins and fanatics like the Ayatollah Khomeini.

The only option left is to force democracy on them like Japan or Germany, after the war.

That's where we are now.

Pray that this scheme works out for the US - BECAUSE if it doesn't, things will get a lot uglier.

Imagine a world- wide opinion that "Muslim countries can't be changed, they won't ever become

democratic" - it would have the effect of dooming hundreds of millions of people to misery - and death.

I hope for Pax Americana because, like it or not, it is the only viable hope for world peace available.

No one else has the resources to do the 'job'.

metatron

• Valis
    Valis

I just read this from The Atlantic Monthly and also there is another article by Professor Lewis in the May edition as well...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit