Jehovah's Witnesses not Welcome--Romania

by Voyager 3 Replies latest social current

• Voyager
    Voyager

Jehovah's Witnesses not welcome in Romania: go to:

www.catholic.net/rcc/periodicals/igpress/cwr/cwr0896/worldwatch.html

Scroll down to Romania, Jehovah's Witnesses are referred to there as dangerous and murderous.

• Matty
    Matty

I'm having trouble linking to that site, perhaps their server is down or something. I notice that it's a Catholic site - hmm, I guess it takes a dangerous and murderous religion to know one!

• sf
    sf

Yes, seems the link is dead. If you have the article saved, posting it here would be appreciated. If not, perhaps it is on someones site and I will retrieve it from there.

I did pull this art(icle) though re: catholics going door to door and coming upon jws and other churches:

http://www.catholic.net/hot_topics/template_channel.phtml?channel_id=8

The end portion of the article states:

Before setting out last weekend, the Latino evangelizers attended a workshop in a classroom at Queen of the Americas Parish. Fernandez-Sardina gave them a pep talk and practical tips about "how to share the message of God´s love in a respectful, caring manner."

The evangelizers were given pamphlets listing 26 Catholic churches with Spanish-speaking staff or clergy members. Somoza explained that "the target population" of the outreach was non-practicing Catholics. "We are not trying to proselytize. If they say, ´We are Jehovah´s Witnesses or evangelicals,´ then we just greet them. But we won´t try to tell them, ´Come back to the true church.´ . . . We won´t attack any sect, any church, anybody."

The evangelizers left the church for Adams Morgan, Mount Pleasant and Columbia Heights about noon under a dark sky and drizzling clouds.

Montano, who lives in Arlington and has a background in public relations, was paired with Felipe Jesus, a 25-year-old construction worker from El Salvador. It was the first time they had met. Neither had done street outreach before.

"I´m a little nervous, of course," Montano admitted. "But I know the spirit is with me and is going to help me."

At Biltmore and Columbia, they approached three men. One wore a Carlos Santana T-shirt and was sitting under a tree. He took a flier and listened cordially to Montano and Jesus talk up the event.

But one of his friends, an older man, flicked the flier away. "I don´t want this," he said.

As the rain intensified, Montano and Jesus pressed on. They taped a poster to a bus stop shelter. Inside Tienda Izalco, which specializes in Salvadoran food, Montano cornered the manager and got permission to put a poster in his front window.

Stymied by locked entrances at most big apartment buildings, the pair had better luck at the row houses on Euclid Street. At one, a woman in pajamas holding onto a black-and-white dog, came to the door. "I´m not Catholic," she told them, but she took the flier.

Around the corner, at a building on Champlain Street, a man was about to light a cigarette on the stoop. "This is a transition home for recovering addicts," he told the pair as he read the flier. "I´ll tell all the guys. I know some of the guys will be there. Like me. I know I´ll be there. As a matter of fact, I´m going to put this up on the bulletin board." He disappeared back into the house.

Later that afternoon, the rain-soaked evangelizers regrouped at Queen of the Americas. Most of them reported good responses.

"Many people responded positively," said District resident Imelda Ortiz, 42. "I could feel the presence of God. It was very peaceful. Even North Americans were happy and kind."

sKally

• sf
    sf

Doi'. No wonder. I just looked at the date of the art. '96. It is burned out light by now.

You can find related items on jws/romania by using the engines though.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=jehovah%27s+witnesses+catholic+romania

sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit