What TV shows were forbidden in your JW household?

by Funchback 56 Replies latest social entertainment

• Naoscillator
    Naoscillator

Beavis and Butt-head and MTV in general

Smurfs

Transformers

He-Man

• Hadriel
    Hadriel
    More like what wasn't banned.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    my ex MiL used to love Keeping up Appearances FFS!
  • Magwitch
    Magwitch
    All the good shows were on meeting nights. Somehow Hee Haw and Little House on the Prairie were always available to watch. I tried to watch Flamingo Road one time, but was caught, grounded and sent to bed.
  • thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

As a kid Power Rangers were off limits. I can't tell you how many times I got caught watching it. I know my mom was not allowed to watch The Flintstones or the Jetsons because of how they talked, lied, etc... Disney movies were always OK, which surprises me now considering how much magic is in them.

In my house growing up TV was never an issue. I remember my parents allowing us to watch R rated movies. The issue in my house was always music. Talk about double standards! We could watch R rated movies but some of the most harmless songs we couldn't listen to. Even the radio was 99% of the time off limits at night!

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I'm shocked at the stuff most JW Millennials will watch today. R rated movies are usually viewed "privately". I always catch them slipping. Heck I know a ton of Bethelites that watched Breaking Bad.

Lord of the Rings is openly talked about.

Talk about how times have changed!

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul
    *** g83 7/8 p. 27 Christ or E.T.? ***
    ..."E.T. may be a skillfully constructed and highly entertaining movie. But it provides no substitute for our True Friend, Jesus Christ, who saves us from this dying, wicked world. After all, E.T. is make-believe. Christ is reality."

LOL!!! Is that for real? Me and my JW buddies would die laughing at that today! They don't say not to watch it but say that he's not a true friend like Jesus? WTF does that even mean? It's a movie!
    I do remember Hunger Games being mentioned from the stage recently. "Kids murdering other kids"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit