Alternatives to JWism

by gitasatsangha 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I know most witnesses leave indivudually, and some, like me, want nothing to do with their theology afterwords, but I am curious, sometimes, why there hasn't been more of a schim or general exedus over much of the more recent stupidity at WTBS.

I was thinking that it was because there was no alternative to the iron grip of the GB, for those who believe in the many of the JW things but have no recourse except the authoritative structure, but the Bible Student groups that did not kowtow to Rutherford have been around since the twenties. I don't know much about them, but I met a few bible students and they were nice. They lack any sort of organization, really, leaving it to the congregation level, and they have a somewhat odd reliance on Russle's blatherings, but still, what keeps more JWs from leaving to their cousins, the Bible Students?

just curious to hear your thoughts on the question

• goofy
    goofy

I don't know any "Bible Students". Wish I did in a way.

• tazmaniac
    tazmaniac

All I know is that when I was in I would defend WT policy/beliefs to the death. Even when I first heard that Michael Jackson was a witness and was going from door to door on the weekends and hiding his identity. I was like....nope nope nope. Its a lie. Then when I heard that it was true I was like...Jehovah will take care of it in his own due time. When I was looking in Time magazine many years ago I came across the article about Ray Franz. I thought he was the devil himself. Now I have devoured his books and have tremendous respect for him. It is amazing the hold that this group hold on you. But now...once out it reminds me of the hold that Jim Jones had in Gyuana. My alternative to JWism....ENJOY LIFE WITH ALL THAT IT HOLDS. Regards, Taz

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    what keeps more JWs from leaving to their cousins, the Bible Students?

Proclaimers Book calls them apostates who failed to rise the callenge of a personal ministry. They are told not to accept any leaflets and they view them as something worse than the lowest of the low.

Should they join them the dub would be shunned and treated as if he no longer existed .

That is why they dont leave to them .

PS Nice one, Taz!

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Some Bible Student groups date back to schisms in Russell's day not just to the 20's. Maybe the fact that Rutherford labeled most of them "the evil slave" class held back a few JWs, lol.

There are a couple of bible students on this forum, and I've conversed with a couple outside this forum. Using Russell's teachings as a core, JWs who want to can at least associate with others who won't look at you funny if you still deny Trinity, hell, etc. Most any religion appears too bizarre to me these days, but I know some exJWs who enjoy their company and are comfortable with the familiar teachings.

Gamaliel

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Thanks all for your answers. I wasn't interested in them myself (a long time ago in the spiritual search I looked up that dark alley), but more in the political/schismatic effect of watchtower "refugees"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit