Question about the JW's Memorial (Lord's Evening Meal)

by UnDisfellowshipped 4 Replies latest jw friends

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Is it illegal to offer Wine to minors (children under 21 or 18) in the United States?

The Jehovah's Witnesses do it every Memorial -- this year on April 16th!

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I'm pretty sure it's legal, just like using peyote is legal for certain Native American religions.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Yeah, I can understand that, but couldn't anyone just claim that "I'm only taking drugs for religious reasons"? Or, "I only gave alcohol to a minor for religious reasons"?

Also, I wonder, where does the Government "draw the line" on religious freedom? Murder? Rape? Neglect? Child Abuse?

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

There are laws specific in regards to the consumption of alchohol in religious services. The Catholic church does it every single day at mass. What about drugs? Well, even Rastafarians cannot legaly posses marijuana although its part of their religion. If I am incorrect in this, someone please correct me!

Kansas District Overbeer

• onacruse
    onacruse

I worked on building a US Federal Penitentiary in Ontario, Oregon. There were a number of American Indian inmates. They were not only allowed to have a sweat-tent outside the perimeter fence, but were also allowed to use peyote in the course of their "religious" ceremonies (or so I was told by the officers).

There were a lot of other prisoners that said they had converted to that religion...had a hard time proving it, though; sincerity just doesn't get the mileage it used to. LOL

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit