Elders in hot pursuit

by benext 6 Replies latest jw friends

• benext
    benext

Well be careful of what you ask for. I've been puzzled by no attempts to contact me during the three month campaign. This afternoon the elders called using a cell phone. I didn't answer because they blocked the name on Caller ID. Earlier this week one called and I had someone else answer so I could listen in. He kept asking if I were home and when I indicated to ask who it was he said he was my "brother" only I thought he said he was calling about a mortgage. I had the person hang up. I fully intend to speak with them but since they didn't get it done before March they'll have to do it after the 16th. Then I will speak only if they will consent to being recorded.

• avishai
    avishai

How did you know it was them if the call was blocked on caller ID & you did'nt answer?

• benext
    benext

The elders here like to use cell phones. They won't use the KH phone. The time of the call came at the concluding time of their meeting. The only other calls I receive outside of the ones I know are from telemarketers. Of course it could have been a wrong number but I feel it was them.

• benext
    benext

By the way I id write the phone number down and will be calling it from a pay phone later.

• lollydawdle
    lollydawdle

benext: I don't know whether you live in the U.S. or in Canada. I don't know U.S. laws about recording, but here in Canada, you do not need permission of the other party to record them. My brother was a newspaper man for 30 years, and said that's one of the first things they learned as a reporter, that you do not need the consent of the other person, you only need the consent of one person to record two people talking, so if you are the person who wishes to record the conversation, and you are one of the persons being recorded then you are legally entitled to do it. I have a feeling the same law applies in the U.S. because the WT headquarters records all incoming phone calls, and they wouldn't be able to do that if they had to have the consent of everyone who calls. Just something to either think about or investigate in your area. Hope it helps.

• Maverick
    Maverick

You can buy a small digital recorder for about $35.oo US. I gave them out to my spies at the Hall. These recorders are very small and look like a pager and have a very good gain. They will record right thru a shirt pocket. Best wishes on your duck and dodge, Maverick

• stichione
    stichione

The elders in my congregation also contacted me regarding a shepparding call. He said..."Since you're inactive and the Society teaching that we should encourage brothers who are inactive...". That got my blood boiling. I know I'm considered inactive, but to tell it to me to my face! I just told him I was too busy at this point in my life and I would get back to him later this summer of fall. And that was the end of that conversation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit