What would you do if the Society Declares Bankruptcy

by Quarterback 54 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

With 'forgiving' KH loans and then taking ownership,

Did the WTS really "take ownership" of all Kingdom Halls? Is their name on the Title now? Every Kingdom Hall in our area, as well as the Assm Hall, are still listed in the County Tax Records as owned by a non-prophet (pun intended) corporation (Cong Name) or by a Trustee. Not even the Assm Hall is owned by the WTS.

I suspect they would leave the Congs autonomous but have something in the Corp Bylaws to take ownership or control who are the Corp's or Trust's directors so that they can maintain control, but not have them as a WTS asset.

Doc

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Bankruptcy is a process where a company can repay debt and reorganize and continue business. It an arrangement to allow a company to continue to exist.

Bankruptcy would protect the Watchtower from dying and help it get stronger.

"Bankruptcy is a process in which consumers and businesses can eliminate or repay some or all of their debts under the protection of the federal bankruptcy court. For the most part, bankruptcies can be divided into two types -- liquidation and reorganization.

Chapter 7 bankruptcy comes under the liquidation category. It's called liquidation because the bankruptcy trustee may take and sell ("liquidate") some of your property to pay back some of your debt. However, you may keep property that is protected (also called "exempt") under state law. There are several types of reorganization bankruptcies, but Chapter 13 is most commonly used by consumers. In Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you keep all of your property, but must make monthly payments over three to five years to repay all or some of your debt.

Both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy have many rules -- and exceptions to those rules -- regarding which debts are covered, who can file, and what property you can and cannot keep."

• cognac
    cognac
    Capps - Thats true, however; before the society declared bankruptcy they'd have to massively downsize...
  • cognac
    cognac
    Stan - Most would be liquidated before they could declare bankruptcy.
  • cognac
    cognac

StarTrek - I think there's a lot that would go to the internet, but only when they are personally affected by something.

If they were to go bankrupt, they'd have to get rid of so much that it would affect personally a lot of the r&f. I.e., having to travel 1/2-1hr to a kh when one was 5 minutes away before.

Just my opinion though, take it as a grain of salt...

• Incognito
    Incognito

DOC asked"

Did the WTS really "take ownership" of all Kingdom Halls?

That is something I had asked about previously but didn't receive a response.

If WT has not taken ownership, is it possible that it could in the future?

As I believe any existing loans were set-up as a mortgage, was that mortgage set-up so that the real property asset is indicated on a contract as security for that mortgage and is the mortgage listed on-title?

Edited to add: Since loans were 'forgiven', if a mortgage is on-title for a KH property, was that mortgage considered paid and removed from the title registry or is a mortgage still considered outstanding and could be used to take ownership?

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I guess it would depends if they were filing chapter 11 or 7... One is for liquidation

of all assets and the other one is a opportunity to reorganize your business to save it...

Chapter 11, they can save the tower.

• cognac
    cognac
    Incognito- there's a thread that was just started on that very question...
  • cognac
    cognac
    James - Either way, they'd lose a crapload of assets before they could file ch 7 even, right?
  • careful
    careful

STA:

probably let our beards grow

Aha! So THAT is what it would take to motivate them to let us do what Jehovah naturally made men to do, let grow the hairs on our faces that he put there. I've always wondered about that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit