What would you do if the Society Declares Bankruptcy

by Quarterback 54 Replies latest jw friends

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    I would ask my JW family members, "Is Jehovah still with you folks"?
  • committeechairman
    committeechairman

Just walk away while the implosion occurs in the background. It would be the best day of my life if the organization ceased to function.

CC

• cognac
    cognac
    I really think they are moving funds & assets around from one "charity" corp to another, so the corporations that might be held liable in future lawsuits will be officially "

Don't believe they can just legally hide assets within other corporations. They definitely wouldn't get away with that in the child abuse cases...

Everything is ultimately tide to the parent company...

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Nothing! If it happens, it would be a sign of the times. I hardly think it would wake anyone up. My local elders would probably organize an underground network of meetings..."so we can keep the faith while we await further instructions."

I remember an elder who used to constantly say that day will come when we would have to meet in private and small groups, probably let our beards grow and always carry booze in our cars. All to pretend to be worldly people and be able to continue preaching in hiding.

• sir82
    sir82

I was just thinking about this.

On the one hand, it seems too incredible to believe that the organization would be forced to declare bankruptcy.

On the other hand: If they really were is deep serious trouble, what would it look like to outsiders? You'd expect to see layoffs, cutbacks, termination of construction projects, etc.

How is what we are seeing now different than what any other corporation would do when faced with imminent financial crisis?

How many people outside of Enron's inner circle knew how bad things were, until it all went belly-up?

• cognac
    cognac

StarTrek - I disagree, because at that point there would be no literature going out, the congregations would be sold or on the market, there would be no governing body anymore... I'd think it would be like herding cats... Maybe in some specific areas with the die-hards. But, before they go bankrupt they'd probably cut the missionaries and Special Pioneers and sell off a bunch of real estate, which will cause at issues with at least some of the die-hards and r&f before they even get to the point of bankruptcy.

However, there's a lot of other people who have said the same thing you just did...

Valid point, I guess time will tell...

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Yes. I don't think 100% will remain but for sure many will. Some elders may take the lead and wake up some in the process when their unchecked authority raises to their heads.

As far as the lack of literature, we used to have a CO who would always brag about the time he spent in jail in Cuba. He said they had a handful of magazines that they managed to bring in and would constantly study again and again. He also said that some of the witnesses in the jail knew morse code and would communicate the contents of the magazines to one another by tapping morse code on exposed plumbing.

• cognac
    cognac

StarTrek - You are comparing this to a time where we didn't have the Internet. The internet, imo, would make a huge difference.

Also, if the society actually went bankrupt, don't you think it would show they don't have gods backing? I mean, they can no longer dispense food at the proper time at all... Idk, maybe that ones a toss up...

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman

Oh brother.

This thread is like Republicans asking: what if we really find Obama was born in Kenya? It isn't going to happen.

They are not going bankrupt. It's wishful thinking. You might as well ask: what if we can all walk on the Sun tomorrow?

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

If I was still a JW today and got wind that the society may declare bankruptcy,

I would ask for reparation. That would be a loving thing to do, making amends for

the wrong they have done. I'm sure the GB would consider that, you think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit