INCEST: Boiling a kid in his mother's milk?

by Gamaliel 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

This is the third in my wildly popular "WILD SPECULATION" series.

1. Did the Prophet Daniel commit SUICIDE?

2. Was Isaac SEXUALLY ABUSED?

and now....[drumroll]

3. INCEST: Boiling a kid in his mother's milk?

You may have heard this one before, so perhaps it doesn't qualify as WILD speculation.

There was a song by Paul Simon called "Mother and Child Reunion" which he admitted (in a Rolling Stone magazine interview) was inspired by a menu item at a Chinese restaurant. The item on the menu refers to a chicken and egg dish. ( verify at: http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/mother.htm. ) As an aside, when I was a kid, we used to make up Greek and Latin fake expressions like "Greek, chronocide = killing time" and "chicken egg = Latin, poultrus cluckus abortus.' The latter was inspired after I heard about the meaning of Paul Simon's song.)

Kosher/Orthodox Jews won't eat a meat and cheese sandwich because of the prohibition against boiling a kid in his mother's milk. But, in fact, there are two or three OT laws which may have had a much deeper meaning. "Officially," no Jewish authorities will categorize them as speaking against incest, but I did find something close on a website:

10. Cf. the prohibition against taking the mother together with the young ones or the eggs from a bird's nest. Here the eggs are sufficient to represent the young ones, just as the milk represents the kid's mother (Deut. 22:6-7). See also the prohibition against sacrificing on the same day a cow or a ewe and her young (Lev. 22:28). Both of these acts might lead to culinary incest.

For now I only wanted to deal specifically with "boiling a kid (goat) in it's mother's milk" It is not difficult to find Biblical parallels where the goat image is chosen specifically to symbolize virility, manliness, sexual excess. Goats are even demonized in the Bible and elsewhere (horny devils). The most curious use of goats in the OT is on Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement), which I'll get to. (I'll bet you can't wait). Similacly, no one has to look to deeply to figure out that "milk and mama" go together like "mammals and mammaries." And most would stipulate that boiling (heat) and passion (fervor) go together. (Paul once said "It's better to marry than to boil." Will Young/The Doors/Jose Feliciano once said: "Come on baby light my fire.")

Maimonedes (1125 AD) thought it was to avoid imitating a Canaanite pagan ritual, Philo (45 AD) thought it meant don't sacrifice (boil) a baby goat that's still "in" or dependent on mother's milk (not for the sake of the baby kid but so that the mother goat doesn't get hardened teats when the little sucker is gone). The Canaanite idea caught on in all the Bible commentaries starting in the 1930's when a Ugaritic Canaanite tablet was found, but temporarily mistranslated. The fixed translation actually proved that initial translators held a lot of Bible-based prejudices against Canaanites; the actual meaning was completely unrelated, as has been proved since 1985.

Some commentators who have attempted to understand it along with the Canaanite and other ancient near-Eastern religions have seen it more as a command against co-mingling life and death. Don't mix things improperly, especially things which we realize can be symbols with important meanings. I personally prefer this explanation to the one about incest. It could extend to fit a lot of other laws which don't seem too important. (Like don't mix polyester () and wool in the same garment.) I have never seen it done yet in any Jewish commentary, but the logical extension would be NO ABORTION. It too closely co-mingles life and death in the same activity. (see, Necromancy.) (see, Mother and Child Reunion above.)

Whether this law should be extended to mean no abortion or no incest, I just thought it might interest some that symbolism might play a role in Jewish religion in the same way it may have played a role in old Babylonian, Canaanite, Hittite, Assyrian and Egyptian religions for example. I just ordered an interesting book called "The Savage In Judaism" which I haven't read yet but should cover similar issues, I hope.

Gamaliel

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Due to popular demand, I have decided to throw in some bonus material on goats:

I thought I should point out that Rebekah (Isaac's wife) asked for two goats to subvert the will of the father for Israel (aka Jacob) and against Esau, the twins. And on the Day of Atonement the Law asks for "twin" goats to subvert the will of God for Israel against Azazel. (Twins are a special symbol in a lot of ancient religions, see Douglas' Purity and Danger, or Durkheim "Elementary Forms of the Religious Life" books, for example.)

Rebekah to Jacob: "Go now to the herd and bring me two good goats..." (Genesis 27:9)

She wanted her twin boys, Jacob and Esau, whose voices were similar enough to fool Isaac to subvert Jacob's interest in giving the inheritance to Mr. Virility (Esau the Hunter) rather than Mr. Milquetoast (Jacob the Mama's Boy). So she used the goat to make Jacob hairy and ...well you know the story: Jacob is accepted and Esau is ultimately rejected.

In Yom Kippur the focus is also on bringing in two goats -- one offered as sacrifice in the sanctuary (acceptance), and the scapegoat sends the sins off into the desert, death, desolation (rejection).

The two goats on Yom Kippur; the mitzvah is for them to be identical in appearance, size, and value, the two shall be chosen together. (Talmud - Yoma 62a)
    Leviticus 16:8 orders Aaron, to 'place lots upon the two goats, one marked for Yahweh and the other marked for Azazel.'

If there's a good lesson here, maybe it's that the similarity of the goats is just like the similarity between the twins Jacob and Esau, alike in many ways, but representing the "thin line between good and bad, what we accept and what we reject." Israel's inheritance itself was based on a trick, a very close call, that might have gone either way. Perhaps this makes Yom Kuppur a little too "pagan" sounding for some, but it may also make it more interesting because it touches on a more sophisticated Yin-Yang or Persian Duality in God.

Gamaliel

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

..."This is the third in my wildly popular ".... Funny Bro.

Im inclined to think its the "mixing" thing bro. Yahweh didnt like mixing. Especially blood mixing with the condemned races. Actually i did a lot of research on the pure bloodline running thru the OT and i have my thoughts on it but I never got around to posting at length on the subject. Take heart brother, I read both posts right the way thru. Im just too in awe of your massive intellect to dare reply at length.

• teejay
    teejay

Gamaliel,

This is either very, very "deep" material or you have a very sophisticated sense of humor. Either way, thanks for the time and thought it took to put it together. We look forward with breathless anticipation to your next installment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit