We discovered a Dyson Sphere! . . . maybe

by Coded Logic 37 Replies latest social current

• Coded Logic
  • Saintbertholdt
  • cofty
    cofty

It's a fascinating discovery whatever it is.

It doesn't behave like anything that is already known about.

• prologos
    prologos

after sleeping on the problem, naturally:

as we look at it, It dims the star ~ every 700 days, it does so for ~ a week, if this were our Solar system, it would be a cloud that orbits just past Mars and has a size of ~ 15 million km, 1/10 the distance from us to the Sun.

I would be our Uranus, with a giant ring system like Saturn, replacing our Mars. or

you can speculate that the KIC Joshua made KIC stand still, or Isaiah reverse the shadow in 535 CE* using smoke and space mirrors. *KIC --, as seen now, is 1 480 LY away, in our past.

PS question, would not a Dyson Sphere block the star light completely, surround, encapsul the light source?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    This would be a good reason for building super telescopes in space that would be able to see planets and other objects with great clarity.
  • SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

I'm with Simon. I was going to say I prefer the Shark, it's more user friendly and much less expensive.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Coded Logic, great cartoon on peer review. Can you please provide me a link to the website where you got that from.
  • Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    would not a Dyson Sphere block the star light completely, surround, encapsul the light source?

Common misconception. A dyson sphere isn't necessarily a solid object. It's a "sphere" made out of billions of satellites around a star (sometimes also called a Dyson Swarm).

Also, I'm not sure how you came to your calculations on size but we know that - whatever this is - it most certainly is NOT a planet or a high mass object. The wobble of the star, the amount of light being blocked, and the orbital period of the dimming all show this.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1509.03622v1.pdf

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

What life might look like in a free floating space colony. Torus colony above, O'Neill Cylinders below:

• prologos
    prologos
    Coded Logic2 hours ago
    would not a Dyson Sphere block the star light completely, surround, encapsul the light source?

"Common misconception. A dyson sphere isn't necessarily a solid object. It's a "sphere" made out of billions of satellites around a star (sometimes also called a Dyson Swarm).

good points. some form a solid structure would be preferable though, given the complications of orbital mechanics of all the objects with intersecting orbits at key points. and one would not have a sudden cessation of the flux with a web like that.

re: mass of the object: You caught that too, I did not get to the "edit button in time, in the solar syatem analogy, the giant ring uranus (tited) woud have to have ~ the mass of mars.

re: calculations: a ~700 days pulsation rate implies an orbit approx. the distance of Mars for a Sun-sized star, at the orbital speed there, 24 km/s the week-long hiatus would indicate a 15 million km size.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit