We discovered a Dyson Sphere! . . . maybe

by Coded Logic 37 Replies latest social current

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Okay, okay, okay - I know we're not supposed to jump to conclusions. But the odds this is a "naturally occurring event" are pretty low. And it's just the sort of Megastructure we would expect an advanced alien civilization (Type 2) to build. I can't help but be more than a little bit excited!!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/15/the-strange-star-that-has-serious-scientists-talking-about-an-alien-megastructure/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Haven't clicked the link yet but...no way!! I know a little bit about the Fermi Paradox...yikes!!Is this click bait or for real?!!
  • Simon
    Simon
    This is going to clean my floor and never clog right?
  • sir82
    sir82

Every report I've seen describes the odds of this being an alien-built structure as "extremely low".

Still, it's fun to think about.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Very weak arguement.....we dont understand so it must be aliens ....or Jehovah's toilet light going on and off.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    It is fun to imagine what it could be, but until anyone knows for sure thats the extent of it, I do love stuff like this.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I prefer aliens built it to invisible sky daddys doing it
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Very weak arguement.....we dont understand so it must be aliens ....or Jehovah's toilet light going on and off.

You must not have read the article. None of the scientists quoted are saying that it "must be" aliens. But, they said that there were enough factors and evidence to at least consider that hypothesis.

Allow the scientific method to run its course before you ridicule it.

A quote from the article: "To be sure, both Boyajian and Wright believe the possibility of alien megastructures around KIC 8462852 is very, very remote. It’s worthy of hypothesis, Wright told Slate, “but we should also approach it skeptically.”"

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

To build an actual Dyson sphere would take resources beyond measure.

Hell, to just build a ringworld - which would be a tiny fraction of the overall size - would take resources beyond measure.

x

On the other hand, planets already exist.

We don't even need to build them.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

cappytan - "Allow the scientific method to run its course before you ridicule it."

Once it's done, it's fair game, though...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit