Would you work in Iraq?

by Jourles 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

If and when this American Offensive is over with, would you go into Iraq to help rebuild its economy? If an opportunity presented itself now for you to go into a war-ravaged country to reestablish power, telecommunications, or refineries, etc. and the pay was well beyond anything you could make in your home country, minus the taxes, would you do it? We're talking about possibly quadrupling your pay without any taxes being taken out. Plus, possible hazard pay on top of it, for obvious reasons. Could you just up and leave your current job and live in Iraq for a year or two? Would your current company allow you to take extended personal leave and then come back to work after a couple of years? Afterall, we're doing the right thing over there, correct?

So, would you go? My wife has already said that she might be able to handle me being gone as long as I came home once a month for a few days at a time. I know how she really feels. She doesn't want me to go. I look at it as a temporary job where I can put some cash away in my retirement accounts for later on. Tough choice. I know that if I was single, I would go at the drop of a hat. This family business makes these types of decisions tough. But deep down, I would love to go. I really want to go. And I have already been propositioned from an old coworker of mine that is high up in a certain contracting company which will most likely get some contract work over there building out new telecommunications networks.

• Solace
    Solace

Jourles,

That sounds amazing.

I think it would be so rewarding to be able to help and would be very tempted.

Be careful, whatever you decide.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Please go! I would feel happy knowing that good people are over there helping rebuild the damage...

CZAR

• Prisca
    Prisca

As a woman, I wouldn't go, because it is still a Muslim country, and it would be near impossible for a foreign single woman to work and live there.

If I was a guy, I'd probably do it.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Wow Jourles go for it if you get the chance. If I was still single and didnt have mortgage etc to worry about and a career, then I would have already volunteered to go and help with relief aid etc

• Jourles
    Jourles
    didnt have mortgage etc to worry about and a career

That's why I am mulling it over. For one, I would be able to build out another network from the ground up in a different country. I've still got more than double my life span from retiring age and would like to pad that nest-egg for when the time comes. The mortgage payment shouldn't be a problem as I would still be getting paid while working over there and I can only see it being a huge positive on my resume showing that I worked in Iraq, post-war. The only thing that sticks out in my mind which worries me is - being shot, stabbed, or whatever, by some loyalist to Sadaam rebel. Other than that, I am more than willing.

• Jourles
    Jourles

It has begun. This is the same company which is expecting to get a lot of the telecommunications contracts in Iraq. My buddy is still nagging me about coming on board if and when they go over there.
    Bechtel Wins Iraq Reconstruction Contract

By LARRY MARGASAK, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The government on Thursday awarded a big contract to evaluate and repair Iraq ( news - web sites)'s power, water and sewage systems to Bechtel Restoration of San Francisco.

The initial award by the U.S. Agency for International Development was for $34.6 million, although the contract could be worth up to $680 million over 18 months.

The larger amount would be subject to congressional approval. Several Democratic lawmakers have complained the Bush administration did not allow open competitive bidding, but rather invited a small number of firms to submit proposals.

In addition to work on the utility systems, the contract also provides for rehabilitation or repair of airport facilities and dredging, repair and upgrading of the Umm Qasr seaport in cooperation with other contractors.

Bechtel also may have a role in repair and reconstruction of hospitals, schools, selected government ministry buildings, irrigation facilities and transportation links.

The agency said Bechtel probably would hire subcontractors for many of the projects.

"Through all of its activities, it will also engage the Iraqi population and work to build local capacity," the announcement said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit