Still cannot post from iOS device

by under the radar 8 Replies latest forum tech-support

• under the radar
    under the radar

Hello Simon. First off, let me thank you again for all your time and effort in maintaining this site. I really appreciate it and am a frequent visitor. I don't post gratuitously, but I do comment when I think I have something to add to the conversation.

I don't know if you ever saw my post from several months ago, but I'm still having the same problem. When visiting this site on my iPad Air 2, I use the Atomic Web browser, set to identify itself as Firefox 15. It had been working great, but lately the "Have Your Say" box does not appear, so there is no way I can comment on any thread from my iPad.

I have exactly the same issue on my iPhone 6S. Both devices are running the latest version of iOS (9.02) as well as Atomic Web (7.0.1). I am using the ".com" address instead of the former ".net" address.

Is there some setting or other adjustment I need to make so I can comment from time to time? Turning off AdBlock, closing the browser, and then reopening the browser has no effect other than allowing the ads to appear. The same thing happens when I enable pop-ups. The "Have Your Say" comment box never appears.

I have the same issue when viewing the site using iOS Safari, but no problem at all when using OS X Safari even though it has AdBlock turned on and pop-ups are blocked.

Feel free to respond via Private Message if you prefer. Thanks for looking into this for me.

Radar

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Is your iOS device jailbroken?
  • Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

I stopped using Atomic browser since it seems to no longer be supported since I think iOS7. I hadn't noticed any updates.

I used that browser in the past and loved it. But once I started noticing issues I moved on.

• Simon
    Simon

I'm working on a revamp which includes much better components and scripting - hopefully that will address the issues you're having.

I can't put much effort into supporting the more obscure browsers though - the next version should be fine on all the major ones though. On mobile devices that will be the device default or Chrome.

• under the radar
    under the radar

cappytan: No, I have never "jailbroken" any of my devices. I guess I'm not adventurous enough.

Crisis of Conscience: I should probably find another browser as well. I hadn't realized Atomic Web was no longer supported on iOS devices. In fact, I just discovered today that it is no longer available from the App Store.

Simon: I totally understand that you can't spend time tweaking the system for every obscure browser out there. I was just wondering if you knew why it had stopped working when it had worked just fine before. I will be happy to switch to whatever iOS browser works best. I don't post all that often, but I like to be able to post something from my mobile devices from time to time. Thanks again for your hard work and dedication to keeping this valuable resource up and running. And I really appreciate your reply. Please consider notifying everyone when the revamp has been completed and perhaps telling us which mobile browsers that are known to work well here.

• Simon
    Simon

I'll definitely post an announcement when it's ready to try so people have a chance to test things out prior to switching it on and we can iron out any bugs.

It's already much faster than the current site and the architectural changes will enable some neat new features: e.g. apply a filter to show or hide posters on a topic, have an ignore list, switch pages without losing a draft post etc...

If nothing else, the scripts should be much improved and simplified. There are a lot of changes happening right now in web development with lots of libraries and frameworks finally dropping support for older crappy browsers (I'm looking at you IE 8 !!!). The net result should be a faster slicker web and I want to make sure this site is part of it :)

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I routinely use an iPad Air II, a Kindle, a laptop and an adroid device with no issues
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious

I've never been able to post from my tablet running Android (latest).

Never made it a big deal, but since you bring it up.........:-)

• under the radar
    under the radar

Hi Viviane! What version of iOS are you using on your iPad Air 2? Which browser do you use when visiting this site? Are you able to post under "Have Your Say"?

If so, that's great. But I don't understand why I am unable to do so. I'm using an iPad Air 2 with iOS 9.0.2 installed. I cannot post, and the "Have Your Say" box does not appear, no matter what browser I/m browsing.

I have an idea it's something related to iOS 8 and 9, but I don't know for certain. If you're using one of those too, then I'm sure in the dark.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit