Lessons of the FOOL

by manon 4 Replies latest jw friends

• manon
    manon

Things are not always as they appear!

Usually when we think "fool" we imagine a simpleton, someone who is out of touch with reality or an object of social ridicule. The common celebration of April Fools Day is a reflection of this attitude--we pull pranks and try to make our friends look silly--just for fun.

"May Innocence find wisdom". The fool has no agenda of his own and no axe to grind....he waits receptively, making himself open and available for the next magical opportunity.

So...especially when the sky is falling...the Fools strategy is wiser than it might seem to the casual observer. He holds to his own innocence rather than finding others guilty. He is not brooding or thinking too much. He is pure, optomistic potential, spontaneous and ready to be activated for the greater good.

The Fool embodies the spirit of spring, which represents hope and new beginnings.

I came accross this little article today it seemed interesting to me. I hope you enjoy it.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

This idea of the fool is very old, but evident in the works of Shakespeare in particular, but also evident in his contemporaries writings. The fool, or clown was often the only character (aside from the audience) who was privy to all the information, and able to put things in perspective. (He usually always had the best lines too).

In fact I believe it was Ben Johnson, tho I could be remembering this wrong, who actually kept a "fool" as a member of his household because he highly regarded his opinion.

Thanks for that post Manon, I think it's important to point out the shift in understanding, at least I find it interesting.

• goofy
    goofy

I think we all need to be fools then. To much thinking and condemnation these days.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Spoken from someone who has a handle like "Goofy",

I couldn't agree more!

• manon
    manon

Thanks Jo & Goofy for posting on this thread. I couldn't agree more with both of you. Yes, it perfectly ok to be a little foolish now a days.

As for the fool portrayed in literature what comes to mind for me is the movie RAN which is a fabulous adaptation of King Lear with an asian twist.

The palace idiot plays his role well but yet he is the most loyal & wisest subject in the land. The king trusts and loves him. Everyone knows the saying, "he who has the kings ear rules the kingdom". So the fool is no fool. Another example of the fool at work is I,Claudius.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit