Unbaptized Children Allowed to Say Prayer at the Table?

by GermanXJW 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Recently a JW friend of mine was counseled by an Elder because he let his children pray at the table.

I remember a CO telling that an unbaptized child cannot pray at the table for the whole family. He stated that after such a prayer a baptized family member has to say another, a valid prayer.

Does anyone remember that the WTS published anything in writing about that matter?

Not that I care, just wondering...

• Gopher
    Gopher

In WT-land, Jehovah the God who hears prayers, is only able to hear the prayers of those who are "approved" by him -- that is, approved publishers... or I mean, approved baptized people.

Jesus said "you must be childlike" to inherit the kingdom, and "out of the mouth of children God has brought forth wisdom". But none of this applies to prayers, apparently.

It's much more important that Daddy say the prayer for the thousandth time (and probably a stale boring one at that) rather than letting junior try his best. Apparently God won't listen to the child, even if he says the magic words (which all JW kids know) "in the name of Jesus Christ, amen".

• Scully
    Scully

Allowing an unbaptized child to pray on the family's behalf at mealtime totally goes against Theocratic Order TM . Even a baptized adult female outranks a child. But the Privilege TM of praying for the family belongs only to the father or husband, since he has the Bible Based Responsibility TM of Headship TM over his wife and children.

Children do not need to learn to pray in this manner. If they listen to the prayers said by brothers at the Kingdom Hall and the prayers their father offers at mealtimes and bedtimes and before family studies, that is all they need to learn to pray. If they want to practice saying prayers on their own, they should know that Jehovah only hears prayers after they are approved as Unbaptized Publishers TM (maybe) and expects them to become Baptized Publishers TM within six months or the hearing of prayers is suspended indefinitely. Jehovah only has so much time on his hands and can only listen to so many prayers at any given time. We mustn't waste His time and resources on frivolous prayers, particularly those uttered by unbaptized children and women, especially when He's busy allowing Satan to cause wars and earthquakes and pestilences in the Last Days TM . And if you're going to let a child pray, you bloody well better make sure they pray for the Preaching Work TM to get done and for the brothers at Bethel, especially the Governing Body TM .

Love, Scully

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

A recent QFR discussed the situation of a mealtime where the father is not present, and there is an baptised son present. If the mother did not feel he was capable of saying the prayer, she could do so. My question is, if little Timmy is not capable of saying grace, what the heck is he doing getting baptised????

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

Scully, are you 100% sure thats WT policy? I remember saying prayers at a very young age before bedtime with my father present, and sometimes my mother.

• Scully
    Scully

Sangdigger:

Did you see the string of at the end of my post??

Does the word "sarcasm" mean anything to you?

Love, Scully

• TemeculaMole
    TemeculaMole

When did it become a "requirement" to pray at every meal?

• onacruse
    onacruse

*** w60 3/15 p. 191 Questions from Readers ***

Questions from Readers

• Is it necessary for a sister to cover her head when praying in the presence of a dedicated brother not her husband? Is it necessary for her to do so when conducting a Bible study under such a circumstance, as in the presence of a servant of the congregation who is training her or when the circuit servant accompanies her?—M. S., U.S.A.

There appears to be no reason why a dedicated woman should ever lead in prayer in the presence of adult dedicated males. (1 Cor. 11:3) At the Brooklyn Bethel home no sisters are ever called on to lead the family in prayer. So long as an adult dedicated male is present, in the congregation or in the home, he should represent the rest in petition to Jehovah God. If an undedicated husband wishes his wife to lead in audible prayer, she may do so, but then out of respect for his headship she should have her head covered. (1 Cor. 11:5, 10) When the husband is absent but dedicated male minors, sons, are present, the mother should also have her head covered if she prays. At such times it would be at her discretion either to offer the prayer herself or ask one of her dedicated sons to offer it. But never should an unbaptized son represent dedicated members of the family in prayer. When only dedicated mother and dedicated daughters are present in the home, the mother may call on one of her dedicated daughters to pray if she so desires. In such cases none need cover her head.

This was the latest statement I could find on the 2001 CD.

Craig

• rocketman
    rocketman

Scully, I enjoyed your post!

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Thankyou onacruse. At present, I only have the German CD-ROM of 1999 which goes back no farther than 1970.

I heard the 2001 edition will go back till 1950 as the English edition - but I am not sure if I will get one officially.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit