Just had visit from an elder...wine and cracker invite

by Waygooder64 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Waygooder64
    Waygooder64

About 30 minutes ago we had a visit by an elder. Of course it was to invite us to the Memorial but the visit turned into an old rehash of issues that the wife and I have thought would not come up.I should mention that this particular elder came alone, while his wife waited in the car.I should also say that this elder is also the father and father-in-law of 2 regular posters on this board.Because this elder knows of his daughters and son-in-laws stand towards the WBTS it has caused a huge rift in the family. My wife and I are dear friends of daughter and son-in-law and have been through thick and thin together. We don`t see them as much as we should but they are one of our closest friends. Its a sad situation because there are grand kids involved who because of the grandparents shunning do not see them. What a waste .

This elder starts in with the invite to the Memorial and you know how one thing leads to another. He asks if I have any desire to come back .I tell him that the bride and I are completely happy and have no desire to be part of that gig. I could hear the wife in the bathroom getting ready to go out and I knew she did not want to come out but I guess she had enough because she comes out and says to him " Your visit would carry way more weight if you would visit your OWN daughter and grandkids". This must have caught him off guard because he did`nt say much . I then told him that it just does not seem right that a family can be torn apart by an interpretation of the bible and that NOT having contact with your own flesh and blood is in my mind... unnatural. Unnatural may not be the right word but you get the gist. I then told him that I am quite sure that God would not strike him dead if he had a visit with his family . There are many more other issues that were brought up that are too complicated to get into but I just want to say what a waste of good family time this religion has caused.

And as I have said before, if God/WTBS expects us to shun family because of a different belief, then he/them are more narrow minded than I thought. Not only that but when Eve first bit into the fruit, free choice entered into the picture.

If God did`nt like the way things were going to pan out then he should have axed those two retards and got two more who could follow the rules! He is God for crissake! He should have foreseen this little problem ! He gave us the ability to make our own choices!

At any rate this elder was quite flustered and he did leave with tears in his eyes.

I am not proud of that. And please don`t post a whole pile of "Well he had it coming, and I`m glad you made him cry and do you know how much I have cried because of that religion"! stuff alright? I hate seeing people cry.

My good friend thought it was a bit odd that he did not show up with another elder in tandem,all I know is that we got to say our piece and he left with (hopefully) some things to think about. Any thoughts anyone?

• Soledad
    Soledad

Im sorry is all I could really say. I think most people's reactions would be that he did deserve it, but if we step back a little and analize this, it's easy to see that they all are really victims.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am thinking this big push to drag back the inactives could be a good thing in the long run. Because lots of elders have to hear lots of reasons why people are just as happy to be out. That this elder came alone is very good. He did not have to look good in front of another "true believer". He listened. He cried. I hope you planted seeds of compassion in that man.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

He had tears in his eyes because he knows what you said is the truth. Hopefully he will think about it and maybe this encounter will help open his eyes.

Devon

• goofy
    goofy

I would never say he deserved to cry, while I don't believe this anymore, I love several Elders, certain relatives included, who I know are kind hearted and and sincere. I know it hurts them that I have turned away and they probably cry, it breaks my heart that they have to feel this way. All I can say is don't blame yourself, it is not your responsibility that he is hurt, yes it hurts us, but we cannot live our lives as robots to keep from hurting others. You would not stay with someone in a romantic relationship that you did not care for, in most cases, so it is here, you cannot stay with something you do not believe in to keep from hurting others. Maybe he will realize someday.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    At any rate this elder was quite flustered and he did leave with tears in his eyes.

I am not going to say he deserved it, but it is a good thing there was tears in his eyes. Your words hit home, and maybe someday he will eventually reunite with his family. And it shows that following WTBS policy tears him up; I suspect he wants to be with his family.

Richard

• Shakita
    Shakita

My husband and I also had an invite to the Memorial from family members. We love these family members very much. We do not wish to hurt them. They know why we have left the org. and have said that they would never shun us regardless what happens. Do we go to make our family members happy for one hour? Do we stand our ground and refuse to go? We haven't made up our minds yet. Maybe one of us will go and the other stay behind just so they don't think that we are returning to the fold.

I am glad you had a chance to talk with this elder. It seems that he needed someone to jolt him back to reality and to see what really matters in this short life.....family. No matter how much the brothers and sisters at the hall tell you they care about you, they can never replace the love of family. Makes me want to stand in front of the Kingdom Hall on Memorial night with an enormous sign saying........"JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES SHUN AND DESTROY FAMILIES......BEWARE!"

Mrs. Shakita

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    I then told him that it just does not seem right that a family can be torn apart by an interpretation of the bible and that NOT having contact with your own flesh and blood is in my mind... unnatural. Unnatural may not be the right word but you get the gist.

The phrase that comes right to my mind is "having no natural affection."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit