Lake Tahoe, Here I Come!

by Michael3000 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Hi, folks. I am training for a century bike ride (100 miles) taking place on June 1, in Lake Tahoe, Nevada. I am participating with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training, and am trying to reach my fund-raising goal by May 1. It's for a really great cause, so give if you feel so inclined. A copy of my donation request follows. Thanks!

********************************************************************************************

Westchester/Hudson Valley Chapter 1311 Mamaroneck Avenue, Suite 330 White Plains, NY 10605

Telephone: ( 914) 949-0488; Fax: (914) 949-0391

www.teamintraining.org

March 21, 2003

Dear Friends, Family, and Colleagues:

As some of you may know I have enjoyed bicycling as recreation and exercise for some years now. Recently, I received in the mail an information packet about the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training. These volunteers participate in the world’s major marathons, centuries, and triathlons – while raising money to help treat and cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s Disease, and other blood-related cancers. I also discovered that the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society provides the training, support, and coaching for participants in these events. So I thought it would be a great way for me to challenge myself physically, get in better shape, improve my cycling skills, and (more importantly) raise money for a great cause.

Thankfully, I am fortunate enough to be in good health. I am going to use my gift of health to benefit those who are not so fortunate – by cycling in a 100-mile event called America’s Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Lake Tahoe, Nevada on June 1, 2003. Beyond the physical challenge of training and participating for this, I have set my fund-raising goal at $5,000.00, to be reached by March 31. I am asking you to join me in the fight against these devastating diseases by sponsoring me with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Your 100% tax-deductible contribution will go toward research and development of treatments for blood-related cancers, and bring us that much closer to finding cures for these terrible illnesses. I’ll be training and riding in honor of ten-year-old James Roviezzo. James was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia at age five. He has undergone numerous tests, chemotherapy treatments, and a bone marrow transplant. Nothing that I will do in training for Lake Tahoe even remotely comes close to the pain and suffering that James has had to endure in his short lifetime. Any parent understands the level of concern you experience when your child is ill with a common sickness, like the flu or a bad cold; imagine having to nurse and comfort your little one through several rounds of chemotherapy, or a painful bone marrow transplant procedure. James’ parents can tell you, there is nothing more heart wrenching. As a result of advances made in research and therapies - funded by people like you - James’ leukemia is now in remission, and he has not needed chemotherapy for more than two years. But, there is still much work to be done:

· Leukemia is the number one disease-killer of children under age 15 in the

United States; leukemia and lymphoma are the leading fatal cancers in men and women under age 35.

·

Every five minutes someone in the United States is diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma, or myeloma.

·

Every nine minutes one child or adult dies from these diseases – that’s 160 people, every day.

To help win this fight, all you have to do is mail your donation to me at the address below, & I’ll take care of the paperwork. Donations of $20, $50, or $100 will get us where we need to be much quicker, but contributions of all sizes are greatly appreciated. In addition, I invite those who donate to send me a wallet-size photo of a family member or friend currently struggling with one of these illnesses – or who may have lost their battle with it. I will proudly pedal my 100 miles at Lake Tahoe in their honor or in their memory, carrying their photo with me all the way to the finish line. Checks or money orders should made payable to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discovery are also accepted (be sure to include your card’s expiration date).

Together, we can win the race to find a cure for these killer diseases! I thank you in advance for your contribution and support.

With Warm Regards,

J. Michael Sidoti

11 Alden Road

Apt 5A

Larchmont, NY 10538

(646) 576-5162

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Did this work? I can't see the post on the Friends page...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit