Going in different directions

by dothemath 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• dothemath
    dothemath

Was visiting with some old friends a while ago, and got to hear some interesting updates about their congregation.

There is a new family moved in, from the Ukraine, and are very zealous. When giving their experience (they're quite new in the "truth") they feel strongly that the religion has changed their life.

They were ready to divorce, but from studying the Bible, etc., they are now a happy family.

Its really a yearbook type example that make a lot witnesses feel vindicated.

On the other extreme, in the same congregation, a teenager just graduating (an elders son) just up and left and moved in with a "worldly" family. He told his parents he doesn't believe it's the truth, and actually believes in evolution.

He was being "encouraged" to get baptized, but he managed to avoid that. (smart kid)

For me, I think both examples are okay. If the bible helps you with life, and the witness lifestyle is for you, then that's great.

But for a 17 year old to have to leave home, because he doesn't believe, is totally wrong. That's what I think most on this forum find offensive, we're not supposed to have freedom of choice or religion.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I wonder did he leave of his own accord or was he given an ultimatum ?

Maybe he knew it would be intolerable for him to stay in the same household and chose to leave.

I hate the fact that parents kick out their offspring simply because they do not want to be JW`s ,to me that is another form of child abuse.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

In the U.S. you are not legally an adult till 18. Leaving at 17 still could be his choice but they are legally libel for any of his misdeeds. Not enough info. I wish him well.

• dothemath
    dothemath

From what was told he didn't want to have to go to the meetings any more, which his parents of course wouldn't allow.

It seems he made some close friends at school that let him move in.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    doey - They were ready to divorce, but from studying the Bible, etc., they are now a happy family.

I bet this scenario never arose. They're just saying this to virtue signal from the pratform. We all know how these 'experiences(tm)' are made up fiction to make the cult appear good.

Its really a yearbook type example that make a lot witnesses feel vindicated.

This is so.

The other scenario was probably highly exaggerated too.

The Jobos love to feel pious and special.

Silly twits.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Side note - In Texas a person is considered an adult at age 17, but the parents are legally obligated to make sure the 17 year old completes high school. A 17 year old that graduates high school is considered an adult by the State of Texas.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I wonder did he leave of his own accord or was he given an ultimatum ?

Maybe he knew it would be intolerable for him to stay in the same household and chose to leave.

I hate the fact that parents kick out their offspring simply because they do not want to be JW`s ,to me that is another form of child abuse.

Even if my family would talk to DF'd/DA'd ones I'd find their company to be toxic. So judgemental, closed minded and paranoid about the outside world it'd just frustrate me.
  • road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Every married person gets to the ready for divorce, but most do not; they move past their immature outlooks. There are success stories all over. Moving to a different country and culture will reinforce the family too.

The same story can be told aboutmany teens helped by friends, not just JWs.

There was a young sister here who went to college and got pregnant. Proof college is bad. I get yelled at when i point out she was hot to trot anyway so would have ended up a pregnant bethelute

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I have heard these stupid anecdotal lies about a religion making the marriage better before.

You'll hear the same old clap-trap at any church or worship place.

A lot of the 'experiences(tm)' are repeated throughout all the religions. Exact duplicates.

Ridicule religion because it's worse than terminal trench-foot.

• millie210
    millie210

Honestly? My first thought was that the Ukraine family is in the "honeymoon phase" of a new country and a semi new religous belief.

Maybe the plaster over the cracks will hold as time wears on and maybe it wont.

They certainly are not proof of anything yet - its all too new.

Isnt there a scripture that says let the one strapping on the sword not boast like the one taking it off?

Someone should read it at that Hall

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit