Start A Butterfly Garden!

by Bonsai 150 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    Count yourself lucky Half banana. My pictures have either turned sideways or disappeared altogether.

Sorry about that - I've been doing some changes as part of overall optimization to make the site run faster and a few things have been glitchy while changeover is in progress.

The images should start righting themselves if they haven't already and a few images that were not appearing should now show up. It make take a while for the changes to appear for everyone due to various browser and network caching.

• Xanthippe
  • Xanthippe
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Huge caterpillar about two inches long. The butterflies are coming. Although it's probably a moth, hawks head or something.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Oh, he's a cutie. I've never seen a caterpillar like him before. He looks like The Hungry Caterpillar in the book by Eric Carle.

Is that a coleus in the second photo?

My plants are wilting severely in the heat. My flowerboxes were watered last night and look nearly dead this morning. 100° F heat for a week is killing everything, including me since the air conditioning in my car went up. Hopefully things will cool down in a couple weeks, my flowers will perk up, and I won't have to pay $500 that I don't have to replace my a/c.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

No it's not a coleus. I grew coleus from seed one year and the slugs ate them into holes. This plant just popped up between the paving. The butterflies and bees love the borage I grew from seed and yes the bright blue star flowers do taste of cucumber as Half Banana said they would.

Ooh 100 is too hot GT. It's 77 here and the garden and greenhouse are loving it.

• Xanthippe
  • Xanthippe
  • Xanthippe
  • Half banana
    Half banana

Where have all the butterflies gone?

This year in England I have only seen a dozen and they are mainly the beautiful Red Admiral. I was away in Africa for three weeks and travelling from Angola down through Namibia to South Africa I saw only three butterflies including one large fritillary.

Perhaps they are doing better in your garden Bonsai?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit