Watchtower ~ IBSA

by Joe Grundy 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I never was a jw.

I wonder if those who know more about this than I do can clear something up for me.

As I understand it, when Rutherford took over and changed the name to JWs, there was a major split and some (the rump?) went off and retained the old name of 'Bible Students'. I thought that the old, original 'Bible Students' were quite separate from current JWs.

And yet ... the WT HQ in UK is at 'IBSA House'. More, WTBS and IBSA are separate charities in the UK, and looking at their accounts, WTBTS UK print/produce literature which they sell to IBSA at cost (£millions).

Am I just confused, or have I missed something? Does IBSA exist in the US, and does WTBTS have a similar relationship with it?

• steve2
    steve2

These are solely legal entities to fulfill the requirements of secular law. They comply with the law of the land - and, whilst we simpler and purer folk may raise our eyebrows and say, "What's with one of the entities "selling" literature to the other?" it is fully within the law.

Don't worry: If it wasn't, it would have been stopped well before now.

More specifically, the International Bible Students Association, a protected and legally incorporated name, is not related at all to the more generic "Bible Students" which has never ever been a "protected" name.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Thanks for that.

I'm familiar with the 'associated corporation' transactions thing. I was just a little surprised to see the acknowledged connection between the official WT and IBSA. Knowing how concerned WT is about external appearances, it seemed strange to see any possible link with (what I'm sure WT considers apostate) 'Bible Students'.

The more you peel the onion ...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The various Bible Student groups had largely already split from Rutherford's Watchtower organisation by the time he adopted the new name Jehovah's Witnesses in 1931. Check out Apocalypse Delayed by James Penton for a historical overview.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy
    Thanks.
  • Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Since I got the knowledge that WT sells literature to IBSA, I suspect them of a financial pyramid fund to get every nickel out of the rank and file JW pocket.

There is so much we don't know!

Gorby

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The Wikipedia article for 'Bible Student Movement' is a good place to start. The WT Society still has control of the IBSA, but the various breakaway groups had to form different legal corporations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit