computer question

by Jerryh 9 Replies latest forum tech-support

• Jerryh
    Jerryh

I have the 2015 Watchtower Library working fine and have started to enter some book marks.

I have the library program on a flash drive to pass around to some other folks so they can show

witnesses at their door what they are supposed to believe. Getting the book marks transferred is

where I need help. The other person could make them one at a time no problem but it will be better

if they can come off the flash drive together with the program. The screen shot below

shows where they reside on this computer but I cannot find this on the "other" computer

to make the transfer. The program probably creates this path but I cannot locate it on the

other machine. I hope this even makes sense. Any help is good.

• bleak
    bleak
    Have you found the answer yet? I like a computer challenge so I'll give it a try. Is someone using a tablet?
  • Incognito
    Incognito

Instead of running the library program from the DVD (or ?), are you able to run it from the flash drive version, and then create new bookmarks to save to a path on the flash drive?

What would happen if you copied the entire bookmark path to the flash drive?

As I was never able to obtain a copy of the WT library when I requested it as an active JW, I cannot verify if these suggestions would work.

• Jerryh
    Jerryh

Incognito,

Thanks for looking at this, it was a good idea. But

You have any control of the path, you just "add" a bookmark then technology take over.

I wish it would work though as showing them things in context is pretty effective

thanks again

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Notice the path. It is in your profile space. In other words, the WT library uses the space set aside for application settings specific to the user. You seem to have a roaming profile - are you running it at work?

In any case, you are out of luck in this regard. The WT has programmed it to specifically use this space.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Note: you can transfer them to another user by copying the files into another users profile space under the WT folder. However, you probably can’t force the WT to read the bookmarks from a flash drive.

• Jerryh
    Jerryh

Thanks MMM. I knew this but took a chance

The WT has programmed it to specifically use this space.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Maybe a good alternative might be to migrate from using the WTLib to using the WOL (Watchtower Online Library). You can then create transferable internet shortcuts to specific online articles and save these on a flash drive. You'll only need internet access and you'll be limited to publications on or after 2000.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Another alternative might be to take screen shots of the specific incriminating articles open in the Watchtower library and save them in a folder and create links to them - or possibly even a simple offline website. That way the JWs can see the information framed in their WTLib program and can't accuse you of having doctored information.

Yes, this will require a bit of work - not as much as you think.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Here's another approach to explore:

If you double click any of the bookmark files listed in your image, will Watchtower library open to that bookmarked article? If yes, then can you open the bookmark file with a text editor like notepad and make changes to it? It might be possible to edit the bookmark files in such a manner that they points to a "relative path" - such as the installed WTLib folder (which can be on a PC or flash drive) vs an "absolute path" specific the particular PC. You can then copy the bookmark files to that "relative path" and use them to open the program and access the information instead of opening the program the conventional way and using the bookmarks interface from within the program. I hope I'm making sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit