The Eyes Of Tammy Faye

by smiddy3 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I just watched this movie today and still not sure what to make of it .

Did / do these people really believe what they preached ? on the one hand I would say they did ,however on the other hand they knew religion was a gold mine for them .

And their lifestyle how they live reflected that .

And I can see the GB of the WT in it for the same reasons but they do it without all of the theatrics that these televangelists seem to thrive on.

I look forward to your thoughts on the movie.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

smiddy;

Did / do these people really believe what they preached ? on the one hand I would say they did ,however on the other hand they knew religion was a gold mine for them .

The bible actually teaches that God gives riches and wealth to those whom he favors.

Ecclesiastes 5:19
    Furthermore, as for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, He has also empowered him to eat from them and to receive his reward and rejoice in his labor; this is the gift of God

There are even examples of this like Abraham, King Solomon, actually the majority of the Kings who ruled for Jehovah. And tons of scriptures to fortify this idea.

People like Tammy, the GB, Pope, read these accounts and verses in the bible and come to the conclusion that God Chose them.

The Apostle Paul also thought that many of the Old Testament prophesies applied to him and not to Jesus. For example;

Isaiah 42:6 I chose you to bring justice, and I am here at your side. I selected and sent you to bring light and my promise of hope to the nations.

Paul confirmed this in Galatians 1: 15 - But when God, who had chosen me--

and set me apart before I was born, and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that ------I might preach Him among the Gentiles [as the good news—the way of salvation]

Also Jehovah's witnesses read the bible and come to the conclusion that they are the favored generation that will survive the coming great tribulation and not die.

People in general have a tendency to read the bible and apply the good things to themselves and the bad things to others.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I'm sure that Tammy Faye Bakker (and the man who married her), were just crazy enough to believe that God actually spoke to them.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

2000 years ago - a person claims that god spoke to him – This becomes a religion

Today – A person claims that god speaks to him. Majority of the world would consider him as deluded or a fraud. Only a Few dumb would believe.

• FedUpJW
  • mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

I watched it by downloading it last night. It was a good movie but it showed how corrupt the evnagelical BS was and still is.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

They both believe it's true, and know deep down it's not.

The mind is a fabulously versatile thing in the service of maintaining comfort and privilege.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit