Tattoos

by new boy 8 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

I don't really have an opinion on the them one way or another.

When I was growing up the only place you saw them were on old ex military guys. They had eagles with American flags or a heart with a knife through it. Some were so old and faded out you didn't know what they were supposed represent anymore.

Instead of the twenty dollar tattoo spent on shore leave, now people are spending hundreds and even thousands of dollars on them.

I do fine this rather new fad quite fascinating. I say fad because as beautiful as these works of art if we fast forward forty years I think it's going to be a different story. Grandma in her seventies with her two full sleeves of sagging flesh and the giant Koi fish swimming down her back towards her tramp stamp will look quite different in a few years.

Just like the old sailors that are long gone most people will wonder if grandma was totally toasted the night she decided to turn her body in a canvas so she could stand out or look more different than everyone else. She certainly stands out now with sagging flesh and distorted tattoos. Has much as a fad as it was by the time grandma's grand children are around my guess they will say no way to this strange primitive activity of permanent skin discoloration.

The pendulum will then swing hard in the opposite direction.

My daughter got some tattoos. Her second ex husband who was not a JW had some tattoos too. In fact he had 80% of his body tattooed. He had FULL facial tattoos. nose, neck, cheeks, ears. He was a sight to see. In fact I'll never forget the time we all went to Hawaii. He and I were walking through the airport and all eyes were on him for sure. I had never experienced anything like it before in my life. If he was wanting to make a statement, he certainly did. Of course it was really hard for him to get a job looking like that. That was fine with him anyway he preferred to stay at home and play video games, while my daughter worked two jobs. I have no judgement about his tattoos. His many excuses to sit at home and not look for employment is a different matter.

I saw my favorite tattoo of all time in Portland Oregon in 2006. It was brilliant! This girl was sitting on the curb in front of Whole foods. She was wearing a sleeveless blouse and was talking on her cell phone. I couldn't help but laugh my ass off when I noticed her arm. On the very top of her arm was the name "Steve" that was crossed out. Below Steve was "Mike" that was crossed out too. Under Mike was "Tom" which was crossed out also. Under Tom was "Jason" Jason had not been crossed out yet. She had loved these men so much she was willing to put their names on her arm in permanent ink. On the other hand she was in complete disclosure. She was telling the world "Yes I love you. However I have loved others also, you are not the first and you my not be the last." Bravo!

Anyway I do enjoy seeing them on other people. They're just not for me. There is no picture or statement I want on my body for the rest of my life. Nothing I want to share with the rest of the world.

In fact the Buddhist believe nothing is permanent. Does this mean tattoos too?

Have some tattoos send us a picture!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I don't have any, but like you, I'm don't have any strong feelings towards having or not having any tattoos. I do see that many religious organizations have very strong stances against them. Some are quite nasty in the way they attack people with tattoos.

Thanks for sharing.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Tramp stamp = Slag tag.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Tattoos are not for me. Not for any other reason than I can't be bothered spending money on them. Also, I might change my mind and regret having it.

If anyone wants one, it's their body, I don't object, nor should anyone.

On a lighter note, I had some temporary Batman ones back in the 1960's.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@new boy: "...her giant Koi fish swimming down her back towards her tramp stamp will look quite different in a few years."

Damn straight. That koi fish on her back will look like a can of tuna on her ankle by the time she hits old age.

@punkofnice: "I might change my mind and regret having it."

Same. Maybe this all smacks of commitment issues. You single too? Lol. I've gotten up in the middle of a haircut once. I can't imagine trying to commit to permanent ink.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Joho - @punkofnice: "I might change my mind and regret having it."
    Same. Maybe this all smacks of commitment issues. You single too? Lol.

Yep. Old, couldn't care less and single. Masturbator of my own density!

There is a word beginning with 'C' that I've toyed over having drawn on my left shoulder......but nah! why pay £60 when I can just shout it at people?

• dbq407
    dbq407

I have a few tattoos and i like them, they have meaning. I don't mind if someone has none or 100. At 70 years of age, tattoos or not, the body isn't going to be that great to look at anyways lol.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@punkofnice *clinks glass with yours* To destiny. And some forlorn-looking pillows.

As for the 'C' word on your shoulder, I can't think of anything more crass that having Cult tattooed onto my body.

• blownaway
    blownaway

Tattoos are a personal choice. As a JW it was a big nono. Now I have Three and looking to get a 4th. I do not judge anyone for getting or not getting one. I have seen ones I like and ones that make me cringe but its not my place to judge.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit