Blood Transfusion Situation in Antigua

by metatron_jr 8 Replies latest watchtower medical

• metatron_jr
  • Jourles
    Jourles

Chief Surgeon Dr. Joey John said Benjamin’s medical condition is such that he could die from a heart attack or a stroke, as his haemoglobin level is dangerously low.

“He has bled significantly, the haemoglobin, which causes oxygen to be carried to the tissues, is dangerously low, and he can run the risk of dying. One requires a blood transfusion, in this particular matter,” Dr. John said.

The elder told her he understood her hurt, but there was nothing he could do as it was her brother’s wish not to accept the blood and that no one had forced the decision on him.

Where's the HLC when you need them? Sounds like this brother needs a "compassionate use" treatment of Polyheme or Hemopure, the Society approved hemoglobin based alternatives. Anyone with contacts who are on the HLC should let them know about this brother so that they can request the proper treatment. If not, ludicrous WT doctrine may be adding yet another martyr to its ranks.

No one forced the decision on him. What other choice does he have? Become automatically DA'd if he accepts what he needs? Sounds like a fair and informed choice to me.

• Makena1
    Makena1

Very very disturbing!!!!!!!!

Question a little off - topic:

What affect does one not accepting a potentially life-saving transfusion have on trying to collect death benefits from a life insurance policy? Does the life company consider refusing a transfusion suicide?

Mak

• Jourles
    Jourles

Good question. If I were the insurance company and the doctors tried to get a client of mine to accept a lifesaving treatment and they refused, I would deny all claims made if they died. It's the only logical thing to do. It would be comparable to suicide.

If witnesses were completely honest with the insurance companies when they sign up, they would ask to have a clause put in that would nullify their life insurance contract due to refusing medical care because of religious beliefs. Otherwise, the insurance co's should add that in anyways - similar to a suicide clause.

• happyout
    happyout

Actually, many insurance polices DO cover suicide, but only after the first two years of coverage. The reason is possibly due to mental illness being the reason for people committing suicide. I don't know that I agree insurance companies should completely deny payment for refusal of blood, it seems the same as when one has a "Do Not Resusitate" on file, which many terminally ill patients sign. I would understand a little better if the claims were reduced by a certain percentage, but then again, what about the families of suicide victims who were definitely mentally ill? This would adversely affect them. And I'm sure the case could be made that dubs who die over this issue are "mentally ill" (said with tongue planted firmly in cheek).

Sad Sad Sad

• jgnat
    jgnat

The family are not JW's. Have they been fully informed about alternate and acceptable treatments?

• benext
    benext

The man is an adult and should be allowed to make that decision. What I find strange is Dr. John's comment that had taken care of hundreds of JW's many of whom have accepted transfusions? Does this mean the elders in Antigua will be directed to conduct investigations to find out the names?

• Gerard
    Gerard

Sincerely depressing.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am concerned that the elders JW's may consider him an acceptable martyr for the cause, and not fully inform him or his family about alternative treatments. If, in fact, they understand themselves what alternatives are allowed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit