Watchtower's Future

by Tahoe 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Tahoe
    Tahoe

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/5/31/15717670/jehovahs-witnesses-watchtower-buildings-renderings-panorama

The development team that purchased Jehovah’s Witnesses Watchtower building complex in Brooklyn Heights last year has now unveiled plans for its transformation into a swanky office and retail destination.

Panaroma, as this new space will be known, will be spread out over the five buildings here that were previously occupied by the Jehovah’s Witnesses. This includes three brick and timber buildings that were built in the late 19th century, and the two main buildings built in the 1920s.

This revamped campus will offer 635,000 square feet of interconnected office space, with most of it featuring 11-foot-tall ceilings. The public will have access to 35,000 square feet of retail and outdoor areas including terraces (and space for arts and culture).

“Panorama will be more than just a place to work – it will be a thriving community offering the best visibility and views in New York City, world-class office space, and an opportunity for tenants to infuse the campus with their culture from the very start,” Asher Abehsera of Columbia Heights Associates, the development team behind this project, said in a statement. “Panorama will mark a shift in what America’s best companies expect in an urban office setting.”

Work is currently underway on renovating the five-building campus. While there will be several new aspects including lobby areas, elevators, and mechanicals, some of the old features of these iconic buildings at 25-30 Columbia Heights will also be maintained including the connective sky bridge, and the double-height assembly spaces.

The development team, Columbia Heights Associates, is a joint venture between CIM Group, LIVWRK Holdings and Kushner Companies. Kushner Companies is also developing another massive former Jehovah’s Witnesses site at 85 Jay Street.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I love that comment: "An opportunity to infuse the campus with their culture from the start"!

Haha...yes, a chance for a new "culture" to be "infused".....

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

That whole area that used to be occupied by JWs is now awful looking, run down, dirty streets/sidewalks, trashy, and lots of shady looking characters lurking about. We were visiting that entire area recently.

The group which kept it all clean, beautiful and peaceful are gone baby!

The WTBTS teaches us to care for our places of worship and our property; results show it. Surely a nice feather in their cap.

DY

• LV101
    LV101

It won't remain long in it's present run down condition with a good developer on the horizon.

I was always of the impression that JWs maintained their property as Doubtfully Yours' has expressed above but I think there's been conflicting posts here in the past that indicate otherwise. How JWs would have time to care and maintain their own properties (or themselves) is amazing with all the demanded cult requirements. I'm shocked it hasn't forbid JWs to exercise. I realize they're against yoga or at least certain aspects of yoga -- or I was told by study conductor(s) this was the case eons ago.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I think about all those witnesses who worked hard on those buildings for the big J only to have them sold to the highest bidder. That's the way it goes and those developers got a good deal. Great location good condition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit