The Passing of a GREAT Musician.....

by titch 5 Replies latest social entertainment

• titch
    titch

Greetings, Everyone. I just found out this evening, May 27th, that the well-known Greek musician, Vangelis, passed away just last week. May 17th, in fact. Did anyone else know about this? He was 79 years old, which, well, as you know, IS old. Isn't it? At any rate, I found out about his passing, as a result of watching the movie "Chariots of Fire" (from 1981) on the local PBS TV station, KCET. On MOST Friday evenings, KCET has a feature, called "KCET MUST See Movies." Movies that have been nominated/won Academy awards in the past are presented on that show. And, tonight was "Chariots of Fire." I decided to look up some information about "Chariots" on the Internet, and when I clicked on the name Vangelis, Wikipedia took me to the article about Vangelis. As you know, Vangelis did the music score for that movie. He was a great musician; I have several of his CDs. He did a lot of music for the PBS/Carl Sagan-produced series, "Cosmos", which was on PBS back in 1982/1983. So, Farewell Vangelis. I thank you for your musical talents and contributions to the music world.

Titch.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Farewell Vangelis. I thank you for your musical talents and contributions to the music world.

I second that and thanks for posting titch,I wasn`t aware of his passing .

Sorry, I have to disagree with you that 79 is old .I consider 90 as being old but maybe that`s because I`ll soon be 83.

• waton
    waton

there is something spiritual about how common notes, positions on the keyboard can be transformed by someone like Vangelis into a powerful resonances in our minds, and stay there. and re-sonate at will, without the instruments. It is clearly

One way into the future, to be a creatore like him, and having children. The other ideas offered by religions will have to wait to be verified, to be real.

Vangelis you enriched us.

• titch
    titch

Smiddy3: Well, you don't LOOK like you're 83. (How would I know that, since I've never seen you, nor you me???) Yeah, that comment was kind of "tongue-in-cheek". I myself am 68 years old. But, a lot of the time, I FEEL like I am ONE-HUNDRED 68 years old. On a different note, since you are an Australian, I've been meaning to ask you, Are you familiar with a movie titled "Lion"? I watched that movie on DVD about 6 years ago, when a local librarian lady recommended it to me. And, two weeks ago, on that local PBS station here in Southern California, aired it on their "KCET Must See Movies" series. That is an excellent movie, and I'm glad that KCET had it on their list of "must see" movies. Best Regards.....Titch.

• titch
    titch

BTW, if anyone doesn't know what is meant by "PBS"---it stands for Public Broadcasting Service." I shouldn't use abbreviations without clarifying them to all readers. Best to All....Titch.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Vangelis, together with french synthesist and composer Jean-Michel Jarre were single handedly the musicians responsible for my interest in synthesizers. My music is clearly influenced by Vangelis' sonic aesthetic.

RIP my hero.

R.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit