Beards - September 2016 Watchtower

by Listener 98 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tiki
    tiki

And this is all so important because??? Do they seriously think anyone gives a hoot what they are wearing? And they are going to waste time rehashing this at some future "study"?

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Interesting how when it comes to wearing a beard, the WT states, in paragraph 17:

Christians are not under the Mosaic Law, nor are they obliged to observe it.

However, the rest of the article states the principles of the Mosaic law towards clothing.For example in paragraph 3: The [Mosaic] Law showed Jehovah’s strong feelings against clothing that does not make clear the distinction between male and female—what has been described in our day as unisex fashion.

Seems double-speak to me. Either you apply the law or not!

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Timing . . . ?

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

I am glad they addressed beards being allowed in other countries. It will hopefully give JW's a different perspective. Many look down on men with beards as rebels, even though they hold no position and are not baptized.

I know a young man that has been asserting his right to wear his beard. Many of his close JW friends and family made an issue of it, viewing him as being rebellious although he was not baptized and have no privledges. He used the scripture in Lev. to his defense but they still felt the need to make little slick comments regarding shaving his beard off or how he would look better without it. It wasnt until a family member spoke to a Circuit Overseer and he said to leave the boy alone, did they start to give him a little respect.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The GB men will lie and not pay attention to what the bible says once again as they always do.

The WTS. has had an inherent stature of going beyond what is written.

ie. men who wore their hair over their ears or wore a beard were not allowed to give talks or go out in service, it was deemed as looking worldly.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

So.... Xians aren't under the Mosaic Law and are under no obligation to follow it? Those are strong words CLEARLY stating that no Xian should attempt to use the Mosaic Law to enforce non-Xian requirements that go beyond what is written.

But, wait! Didn't the WTBTS just write a puff-piece about why Xians have large gatherings, using the Mosaic Law as the main supporting reason for Crapventions??!

Wouldn't it be the most honest approach to state, "Christians are not obligated to attend large, mandatory gatherings, as we are not under the Mosaic Law, or any obligation to follow it. Many choose to attend for fine association and encouragement.", or some such nonsense?

What about short hair on women? Should that be forbidden on principle? Perhaps the apostle Paul went beyond the intent of the scriptures when dictating headcoverings? He was an Xian, perhaps the light was not bright enough then, and he did not realize they weren't under law?

Maybe the GB are stupid dumbf***, Watchtards, who hide pedophilia while wearing Apple watches?

DD

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes DD, and should we start stoning children as well now, in line with the mosaic Law?

The society picks and chooses which parts of the "law" they feel need to be followed in "principle"....

• sir82
    sir82

First explicit mention of beards in print in 40+ years.

Probably prompted by US JWs traveling to other countries, perhaps for international conventions, and seeing JWs, maybe even elders, with beards, and wondering "WTF?"

As other posters have noted, the article is vague and entirely unclear. Probably intentionally done that way, hoping that JWs won't be able to make heads or tails out of it and just say "well, we'll just maintain the status quo".

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I find it interesting that the WT seems to be paying heed to 'local customs' that encourage men to grow beards, how very patronising!

I think it's high time the WT is reminded that re facial grooming in the West, men are allowed whatever they want. Pretty much anything goes. It's one of our famous freedoms.

Hopefully, the WT will now respect Western customs and conventions.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Whats all this about men with beards. Surely it should be people with beards as I have never seen a woman with a beard.

zeb ...

I guess you have never been around Italian women.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit