Original Gilead Building

by dropoffyourkeylee 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Recent photo:

Near Ithaca NY

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The photo didn’t come out very clear, but the word ‘Gilead’ is still readable over the entrance. I don’t know when it was sold, but the last Gilead graduation there was 1960. The Mountain Farm property across Rt 34 was still in JW hands until about 2015

• St George of England
    St George of England

Built to house the Bethel family through Armageddon. Rutherford would be ensconced in his bunker at Beth Shan.

George

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What’s it used for now? Brickwork looks newer than the age of the building. I’m no architect for sure.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The sign, which I did not get a photo of, was for New York State Department of Childrens Services. However, the building has the appearance of not being used. Yesterday was a weekday, gates were closed, not a car or person in sight. So I’m not sure.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Ha! Notice that the darker brick entrance, is actually a "WatchTower."

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Yes, the portico is Watchtower shaped, and the word ‘Gilead’ is carved across the entrance

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

An attempt of a close up view of the word Gilead on the structure. I hope it is more visible. I find it interesting and humorous in a way that the present owners are OK with leaving it there.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

NYS DoC at the place is very fitting, given the problems the organization is having with CSA. The original printing place of the Zion’s Watch Tower in Rochester, NY is now an institute for the blind and the Watchtower sign in Brooklyn was replaced with a red Welcome sign. If I believed in a god…

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Followup:

The old Gilead building was apparently reused as the Lansing Residential Center, a sort of rehab facility for troubled youth (girls). The facility was shuttered in 2013 according to this article I found:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/local/2013/05/29/new-york-state-to-close-two-juvenile-justice-centers-including-lansing/2369645/

There is another complex of buildings very close by which is a secure prison. I'm not sure if the prison is on former WT land or if it just happens to be next door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit