Where Did That Come From?

by JWD 5 Replies latest jw friends

• JWD
    JWD

Ever wonder where some of the WT `biblical` teachings came from?
    For example, where in the Bible does it say that you should report
    time? More specifically, that you can start counting time from the
    point at which you approach the first person(or door)? How about
    birthday cake... one sister`s daughter brought home a round cake
    which she suspected was B-day cake.Fearing breaking Jehovah`s law
    the sister cut the cake into square pieces and then declared it was
    no longer B-day cake and therefore; safe to eat!! How about the 5
    meetings. Sure the Bible talks about gathering together, but where
    does it say FIVE MEETINGS. If 5 is good , why not six, how bout 7?
    Why do grade school boys have to wear neckties? Where does the Bible
    talk about the length of sister`s dresses? (One sister here in Japan
    was warned for having a very bright colored car! I guess it wasn`t
    theocratic. Probably, made somebody stumble!?) Recently, there was
    a ruling about wearing black clothing to funerals. Supposedly,it
    might give someone the idea that the bro. was involved in ancestor
    worship (never mind that Japanese wear black to graduations and weddings as well). The list is endless. What motivates a group to
    constantly be thinking up new rules...and then claiming they got
    them from the Bible? Reminds me of `Corban`. JWD

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

JWD,

I think you are going through your monthly cycle.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Hi JWD,

It is all part of the control. If we collectively listed is all of the rules and regulations known to be set throughout J-Dubyadom we'd collect 100's if not 1000's. All the regulations are there to control. If you don't toe the line you wont't get privileges, won't be part of the 'In' group, will be "spiritually weak". If you do as you are told you might get to be part of the controlling group (elders) but by then you are willing to be cotrolled by the next level up.

Thirdson

P.S. At least Fred gets to be independant here. HE is out of control and likely not an esteemed memeber of his congregation, if even bothers to attend one.

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Tanalyst
    Tanalyst

reporting time?

AS a young kid in late 6o's living in the deep south Sunday mornings was field service time.The young guys would go together in a 454 cu. inch oldsmobile Delta 88.We'd go on return visits- we knew no would be home,everyone was in church in them days and the Sheriff would be in church too.So we'd start at one end of the county make a RV get in the car, race 120 miles an hour down the straight highway to the other end of the county visit another NH RV and race to the other end of the county till we had our time in.

My question is," Since we were going twice the speed limit would it have been ok to double our time?

• JWD
    JWD

I`ve always wondered why count TIME? Why not count actual conversations. Talking to closed doors never amounted to anything.
    If the WT had to pay even a dime per hour, they would change the
    time thing real fast. By the way, has anyone even sued the WT for
    making people work with no pay? If it`s really volunteer, why is
    the word `obligation` used for pioneers time norms? How does all
    this square with the teaching in Matthew about making sure your
    good works aren`t known by men?

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    AS a young kid in late 6o's living in the deep south Sunday mornings was field service time.The young guys would go together in a 454 cu. inch oldsmobile Delta 88.We'd go on return visits- we knew no would be home,everyone was in church in them days and the Sheriff would be in church too.So we'd start at one end of the county make a RV get in the car, race 120 miles an hour down the straight highway to the other end of the county visit another NH RV and race to the other end of the county till we had our time in.

God, that sounds like fun. I wished that we would have had those kinds of days in field service. At least in my hall, the kids would come with arrangements already made. That way, we were at least together.

. o O (slipnslidemaster)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit