Just made for XJW's - Good Omens

by fulltimestudent 4 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

A 1990 novel, now a film, its just made for us disillusioned ex-christians. It takes the piss out of YHWH and his fake son, Jesus'

The Book: "The book is a comedy about the birth of the son of Satan, the coming of the End Times. There are attempts by the angel Aziraphale and the demon Crowley to sabotage the coming of the end times, having grown accustomed to their comfortable surroundings in England. One subplot features a mixup at the small country hospital on the day of birth and the growth of the Antichrist, Adam, who grows up with the wrong family, in the wrong country village. Another subplot concerns the summoning of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, each a big personality in their own right."

The Plot

"It is the coming of the End Times: the Apocalypse is near, and Final Judgement will soon descend upon the human species. This comes as a bit of bad news to the angel Aziraphale (who was the guardian of the Eastern Gate of Eden) and the demon Crowley (who, when he was originally named Crawly, was the serpent who tempted Eve to eat the apple), respectively the representatives of Heaven and Hell on Earth, as they have become used to living their cozy, comfortable lives and have, in a perverse way, taken a liking to humanity. As such, since they are good friends (despite ostensibly representing the polar opposites of Good and Evil), they decide to work together and keep an eye on the Antichrist, destined to be the son of a prominent American diplomat stationed in Britain, and thus ensure he grows up in a way that means he can never decide between Good and Evil, thereby postponing the end of the world.

In fact, Warlock, the child whom everyone thinks is the Anti-Christ, is a normal eleven-year-old boy. Due to the mishandling of several infants in the hospital, the real Anti-Christ is Adam Young, a charismatic and slightly otherworldly eleven-year-old living in Lower Tadfield, Oxfordshire, an idyllic town in Britain. Despite being the harbinger of the Apocalypse, he has lived a perfectly normal life as the son of typical English parents, and as a result has no idea of his true powers. He has three close friends - Pepper, Wensleydale and Brian - who collectively form a gang that is simply referred to as "Them" by the adults.

As the end of the world nears, Adam blissfully and naively uses his powers, changing the world to fit things he reads in a conspiracy theory magazine, such as raising the lost continent of Atlantis and causing Little Green Men to land on earth and deliver a message of goodwill and peace. In the meantime, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse assemble: War (a female war correspondent), Death, Famine (a dietician and fast-food tycoon), and Pollution (Pestilence having retired after the discovery of penicillin). The incredibly accurate (yet so highly specific as to be useless) prophecies of Agnes Nutter, 17th-century prophetess, are rapidly coming to pass."

As described at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Omens

And now the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSZzkFM-Yc

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I'm hoping that lots of JW kids will be unable to resist seeing this film. YHWH and JEsus will never be the same again in their imaginations.

• Whynot
    Whynot

I watched it and I thought it was brilliant! There's a part that made my jaw drop. The antichrist asks why destroy everything instead of just fixing things! Yes! I can't tell you how many people asked me this question in service and something inside me just wanted to say "you're right! WTF!" Lol but I always gave to WT answer, God has to destroy in order to fix. I really enjoyed binge watching this.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I read the book when it first came out, good fun.

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely check up on this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit