Why is the finished mystery of 1917 so expensive compared to other JW books?

by blownaway 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blownaway
    blownaway

I see these on eBay from time to time and they go fro 150 to 200 dollars. Seems like a lot. Other old JW books go for much less. Just wondering

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

because some mugs are daft enough to pay it.

• Kevin N. Bunker
    Kevin N. Bunker

Because it's rare, most likely.

It was banned. So there aren't many copies left, I would think. And also the various Bible Student groups don't re-print it like they do with the other Millenial Dawn/Studies in the Scriptures series.

In my old Hall there was a copy with the missing pages typed up on a eraseable typewriter paper, you know the sticky to the touch kind, and inserted where the banned pages had been razored off.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

If you want to read it (although, I cannot imagine why), here is a link to the pdf.

http://jehovah.net.au/books/The_Finished_Mystery_1918ed_19MB.pdf

Kevin, you mentioned, "banned." I what sense was the book banned?

• jaydee
  • jaydee
    jaydee

easier to read .... 1918 versions

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46016

• Jehovahisgod
    Jehovahisgod

This is one of the rarest books of the Jehovah's Witness literature not very many of them remaining out there so people want a lot of money to get you a copy if I had kept all of the old literature instead of giving it back to the Watchtower Society I'd be filthy rich

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The Watchtower organization was much smaller then, so the initial print run was small, also, that was long ago, and lots of dogs have eaten a lot of homework in that time, also, no doubt many copies were destroyed when the US gov't cracked down on the Watchtower for violating the Espionage Act.

Today a heavily-revised version of the book is kept in print by people who think that Pastor Russell was the man with all the answers - never mind that NOTHING Russell predicted came to pass - unless you count INVISIBLY, in which case it ALL CAME TRUE.

As pointed out, if you simply wanted to satisfy your curiosity, you can do so for free. If you are jealous of antiquarian booksellers making a killing, work on improving your character. Envy is ugly and you are better than that. (Yes, I don't know you from Adam, but envy is ugly on EVERYONE, and EVERYONE is better than that.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit