Simple, basic manners would be a good start

by stillin 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillin
    stillin

The Witnesses are really challenged socially. In their own little world, they seem oblivious to the niceties of saying thank you or that they are sorry for some minor wrong. These things help life go more smoothly in the real world, like a social lubricant.

i'm simply appalled at the fact that an elder's son, who was married more than a year ago, has never sent out thank you notes for all of the gifts that the congregation gave him for his wedding. Ours was generous. I always liked the kid and thought he had more class than just to waltz off with his bride without so much as a nod back at his old life. Now I realize that he would be recognized as a jerk in the worldly world.

maybe I'm over reacting. But this isn't the first time that basic manners, the lack of them, has gotten under my skin.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

In the last 25 years, I've seen the transformation of the individuals in the organization - judgmental, suspicious and self-centered.

Line up early at a convention or assembly. The doors open at 8:00 and the pushing, shoving and running begins to get the best seats in the auditorium. I have never experienced this at any theater production, concert or pro sports event - everyone stays in line and takes their turn.

ginger

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

It's partly human nature and partly part of the cult mentality to take friends for granted when you always have a veritable smorgasbord of people available to fill out a crowd, whenever you need one.

JW's typically have a congregation of people available for whatever event they put on. Many don't realize or maybe have simply forgotten what it is to have seek out and make friends from scratch as well as keep them. That's why they are often so inclined to toss you away if you simply stop attending their meetings. There's always someone else in the crowd to take your place.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

i'm simply appalled at the fact that an elder's son, who was married more than a year ago, has never sent out thank you notes for all of the gifts that the congregation gave him for his wedding. Ours was generous.

We've had that happen twice recently. One was an elder's daughter. The other was himself and elder.

We've always figured that since we do not buy gifts for "worldly" holidays, we can afford to be generous for weddings, anniversaries, and new babies. We too are disappointed that these JW "friends" have no class and show no appreciation. Even worse if it is because we are now "inactive". How do they think that would "encourage" us or make us think better of JWs?

Doc

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

And let's not even get started on their tipping behavior.

Ok, on second thought, let's!

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    Yeah you're right. I have never ever seen a JW tip well, ever. That's a really good point you brought up Dario. Has anybody seen dub tip well?
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away
    Many think leaving a tract is an appropriate tip, seldom a thank you card for a wedding or shower gift, and don't get me started on RSVPs. I can't tell you how many "get-togethers" I hosted where I had way to much food, because of a total lack of regard for making a commitment and keeping it. I would get a vague maybe or a verbal yes in passing at the hall or in service (even though I requested an RSVP by phone), and then way too many were no shows and made lame excuses. Sometimes they had the nerve to basically say they got a better offer. As a teen my daughter was particularly hurt by this rude behavior. Literally never a thank you other than on the way out the door, and they weren't shy about gathering up leftovers, and never thought of bringing a small gift for a host either! Grrrr!
  • stillin
    stillin
    Well, I for one have always been a decent tipper. At least fifty cents at the nicer restaurants! Lol! Maybe even leave a tract on the table. Here's a hot tip for you! You're gonna DIE at Armageddon, sucker!
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    In any kind of sales if you are leaving promotional material you should tip extra! JWs started out as unapologetic sales people. They need to use common sense. My mom has never left tracts or magazine's, thank god. I know many who do, though.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Tipping the jw's what a laugh! At least when it comes to conventions the JW's come to town with the ten commandments and a ten dollar bill and don't break either one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit