What affect did the 1918 flu have on the Bible Student Movement?

by dropoffyourkeylee 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Maybe someone has already brought this up, but a news article I ran across:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/03/health/churches-covid-1918-lesson-wellness/index.html

brings a question to my mind. What role did the 1918 flu, which had similar isolation as COVID but without the benefit of zoom meetings, have in the decimation of the Bible Student movement in the early Rutherford years? There was a lot going on anyway, with the death of Russell, WW1, Rutherford in jail for a year, etc, but the isolation of the members must have had a role in distancing the people. The breaking or loosening of personal bonds and friendships makes it easier to leave, whether a church, a job, or other association.

Just a thought

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

They weren't picked by Jehovah till 1919.

So it didn't matter how many died

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

There might have been some effect with the door to door work, but obviously they associated together and proceeded on.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

You'd think that Watchtowers (Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence) would have something to say about such a profound happening.

Anyone?

• hoser
    hoser

In September 1919 they had a convention in cedar point Ohio. I guess the flu was over by then and they weren’t worried about catching it.

I also found online that they had a convention in Vancouver June 29 to July 2 1918.

I’m not sure if they isolated or just carried on as usual.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Both Conventions were silly, the 'flu was not entirely over then. If you look at the figures, it appears they did not lose too many, the big Exodus took place after 1925 , when Rutherford's nonsense about that year became obvious as the ramblings of an alcoholic.

This caused many, who were loyal to Russell and his teaching, to leave, and continue on their own. Some remnants of this group remain active today in the USA and in the U.K, and are still known as Bible Students.

• minimus
    minimus

Actually there’s a lot of splinter Bible Students still around. Of course JWs used to view them as the Evil Slave Class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit