Do you think local Govts. tolerate religions / cults such as JW`s simply because of the money they can generate with conventions etc.?

by smiddy3 6 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I`m thinking about major conventions held by JW`s either nationally or Internationally .They must be a big boost to the local economy when they are held .

Think about the major international conventions held by JW`s over the years . Yankee Stadium / Polo Grounds being one of THE major ones ,though its not just confined to the JW`s ,Billy Graham Crusades , and of course the Pope`s visits to various Countries.

And are they culpable or should they be for promoting these events to occur under there watch ?

I mean as an extreme illustration or two here would such Govts. OK a convention of white supremacist groups ? or an anti Semitic group in there locality ? Just to get more dollars in the community ?

• blondie
    blondie

Or they might be afraid they if they do refuse to let the WTS to use their facilities that the property owners might be accused of religious bias. At the time Yankee Stadium was owned in part by the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic organization. I used to wonder if the WTS was concerned that their money might be going to support the Catholic Church.

https://www.nytimes.com/1972/08/11/archives/city-acquires-the-title-to-yankee-stadium.html

https://www.kofc.org/en/todays-knights/about-us.html

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I thank you blondie for the links you have supplied ,if you or I as a rank and file member of the religion and had dealings with any false religion we would be hauled over the coals and been reproved in a judicial Committee meeting.and maybe even disfellowshipped . because of our involvement .

Apparently there are two sets of standards to be applied here ,one for the WT organization higher ups , G.B.members and such. and another one for the rank and file members of the JW religion.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

According to some posters from Sweden, the state owned liquor outlets do very well from JW conventions. Sad to say, this is all too believable.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The politicians don't give a rat's ass where the convention money comes from. At least JW events are typically "peaceful". I'm sure LE would rather see a JW Convention than a KKK or Black Lives Matter rally.

• blondie
    blondie

smiddy3, in the bible Jesus is said to have told the Israelites regarding their religious leaders:

Matthew 23:3 "But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach."

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

All 'governments' in America today are Corporations. Corporations traditionally do not mess with other Corporations no matter what.

WTBorg.inc is in reality a Corporation masquerading as a Religion. Under the Law this affords great flexibility and freedom within its hierarchical structure of private jurisdiction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit