Evolution: The Deal Breaker

by Hadriel 150 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty would you mind saying where you saw that, if you can remember please?

Here you go...

It is fascinating.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

I don't think I can be more clear.

I don't see where evidence of evolution means it could only be brought about by happenstance.

I could have been brought about by intelligence. Whatever the hell that intelligence is. Don't assume that means God.

Without knowing this key factor no one can say definitively.

Saying it doesn't matter is convenient for the narrative.

Was really hoping for more discussion about this key point, but what I hear is "it doesn't matter". I don't see how that's remotely reasonable or wise for that matter.

• cofty
    cofty

You are still ignoring my requests to define your terms.

Every time somebody provides you with an answer you reply with an even more ambiguous response.

Did you even read my analogy?

only be brought about by happenstance.

WHAT EXACTLY?

Do you mean it is unreasonable to exclude intelligent agency as a cause of the origin of life?

or

Do you mean it is unreasonable to conclude that the journey from LUCA to millions of species does not require an intelligent agency?

I refuse to engage with you further until you make an honest effort to define your terms.

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

cofty '... probably in alkaline vents under the ocean...'

PROBABLY IN ALKALINE VENTS UNDER THE OCEAN?

PROBABLY?

?????????

• cofty
    cofty

Yes probably.

What's your point and why all the bold font and multiple question marks?

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

cofty

For someone who tries passing off ideas with what you consider 'exact and detailed explanations, 'probably' doesn't seem to fit in.

• cofty
    cofty
    For someone who tries passing off ideas with what you consider 'exact and detailed explanations, 'probably' doesn't seem to fit in. - EQV

Then you haven't been paying attention.

The fact that every living thing evolved from a common ancestor over millions of years is beyond all reasonable doubt. Only JWs, Fundies and Muslims deny this for reasons of religious superstition.

Where and how did life emerge from non-living chemistry? This field of research is called abiogenesis and it is much more difficult to resolve. So far there is no definitive answer. One of the most compelling hypothesis is that it happened in Alkaline vents under the ocean but there are other contenders.

Why should it surprise you that there are things science doesn't know yet?

If you want cheap evidence-free certainty ask a priest.

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

One of the most compelling hypothesis is that it happened in Alkaline vents under the ocean but there are other contenders.

Oh, okay, I get it. Probably, until we get 'new light'.

• cofty
    cofty
    Probably, until we get 'new light'

That is intellectually dishonest.

The evidence that life may have emerged in an Alkaline vent is basis for a hypothesis. Lots more work remains to be done before anybody can say anything with any confidence.

Theism is where people make unsupported assertions that others must obey based on assumed authority.

Why do you hate science?

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

cofty '..The fact that every living thing evolved from a common ancestor over millions of years is beyond all reasonable doubt.'.

Blue jays, fir trees, elephants, fleas, dolphins, cactus, pineapples, blueberries, crocodiles, raccoons, mosquitoes, tigers, snakes, apples, spinach, my Uncle Charlie, cockroaches [well okay Uncle Charlie and cockroaches I can see] all have a [one] common ancestor.

Right!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit