My son's and I's first Valentines Day, Friendship day celebration since our awakening!!

by Khaleesi 7 Replies latest social current

• Khaleesi
    Khaleesi

So this weekend will be my first time celebrating Friendship day since stop celebrating due to being a JW for years.

The most exciting part for me and makes me very happy is finally to have my son participate and be involved in normal activities at school with classmates. No longer will I allow him to be ostracized at school due to the WT "cult's" ridiculous reasoning why some things are not okay to participate while others are okay. (For example, like all pagan origins we must avoid- birthdays, etc... but then again they all wear wedding rings & neck ties which also have pagan origins).

The 2003 Awake 9/22 says: "A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues. The Bible says: “Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person.”—1 Corinthians 10:24."

I can tell how deep down he wanted to participate in the activities at school but had that cognitive dissonance in him, asking me if God would approve and didn't want to make him mad. Of course after many reasoning discussions with him and discuss with him the above Awake Article, he decided to participate and enjoy activities that the rest of his classmates do too. It's a slow process for him but has been very progressive, little by little his indoctrination has been leaving him. To which I was even surprised when I picked him up from school early this week and said he wants to go to the school's Friendship dance (V-Day) and even got a girl a V-Card he likes at school. He says he will not tell his other side of the family which are JWs because according to him "they are asleep and wouldn't understand"...

I am also happy to participate with co-workers at work for the first time. I've been at the same company for over 10 years and finally I also will not ostracized myself, they were soo surprised when I asked if they were doing anything and I wanted to participate. They were all very welcoming and genuine accepting. They have been more supportive friends than the ones I had at the various congregations I have attended. And best yet I will be celebrating it with my "worldly" husband for the 1st time!!!

• Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif
    Way to go girl. I just sent my 35yr old daughter her 1st birthday card this week. She's totally speechless. Her reaction was hilarious.
  • Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

Hi khaleesi, well done I'm so happy that you and your son are enjoying life to the full with all those terrible wordly people lol. My two teenagers just left the cult with me this year, they have both told me how difficult and painful it was to be excluded from celebrations and birthday parties, even though I though we were giving them a good childhood and that they were happy, they were both hurting and felt ostracized, they now have emotional scars. My daughter celebrates her first birthday at 15 next week. I will make sure my little one does not get excluded in the same way.

Thank you for your post it's so nice to hear from likeminded people going through the same things X

• Theburstbubble
    Theburstbubble
    Well done! It's like a breath of fresh air isn't it? It takes time whilst the fog clears, but when it does it's a beautiful experience. Enjoy starting to live again!
  • Khaleesi
    Khaleesi

Yes it is very liberating!!!

@turnintwo: it's soo heart wrenching learning how much it affected our children & they just went with the flow with us for many years... so happy we are now fully awake so we all can make changes for them to have a better future!!

@theburstbubble: just saw ur post on celebrating your duaghter 1st bday, so happy for you, i too will be celebrating my son's 1st in a few months...

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    I'm going to buy my wife a card and flowers for valentines day. Might as well live my double life to the full :-)
  • 10thplague
    10thplague
    Huzzah for you! This will be my first year celebrating too. It's exciting, eh!? I wanted to really get into it and have a date night, but me and my best friend have a whole girls day planned. Everything is so new! Congrats on doing what makes you and your son happy.
  • Heaven
    Heaven
    The Heart shape has always been a fave of mine. But I was told it was evil due to Pagan origins. I didn't care. I drew them all the time. I now have several heart shaped stones of various different types... Rose Quartz, Hematite, Amethyst, etc. I even found one just taking a walk at my Dad's one day. Tell me, if the heart shape is so evil, why did Jehovah make this stone?

Edited to add: That wolf mug that the stone is propped up on is a gift from my Mom years ago. I treasure it now that she is gone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit