Hello, I'm new to this site

by ScrewedandConfused 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• ScrewedandConfused
    ScrewedandConfused

I believe I need to explain my story. It is long and arduous. I was only baptized because a circuit overseer saw a future in me. I didn't really want to be baptized, I wanted a career in sports. I got disfellowed less than a year later due to lying to the elders about things that happened with a girl. I lie to protect the girl. They saw that as being deceitful and disfellowship me even though I had never even been reproved before. I tried for one year to get back in and they reject me twice. I stop going for 6 months and then started going again. In another 6 months I was reinstated.

Some time went and a new couple moves into my hall. We all start hanging out all the time. The husband, Ralph, drinks a lot. He will get drunk and leave me and his wife (Maria) alone all the time and we talk a lot but nothing happens. One time when I am with them he gets drunk and starts yelling at her and then tells me to get out but I am afraid she will get hurt so I refuse. I say that I am too drunk to drive and ask if I can stay for the evening. Eventually they go to bed but I wake up and hear Maria crying in the bathroom. I caught her on her way out and she tells me everything. Ralph is spending all of her money and occasionally hits her. She even shows me bruises.

I never meant to get involved with a woman who was married but it happened. I have been called many horrible names and maybe they are true. Why should she need to stay in a relationship that is abusive that she entered into when she was 18? Why suffer for another 60 years with this man?

We both went to the elders and were told we were going to be disfellowed. She even showed the elders her bruises and they said that was not there concern, they were only concerned with the actions that happened. Ralph was not even counseled. He is dating another woman in the congregation and they do not care to warn her of his habits.

After ralph divorced Maria, she wanted to marry me. We thought we would get married and return together. But then my co worker showed me some information that was very concerning. After about two months of studying information from different websites and books Maria and I realized this was not the truth. But she decided we didn't need to get remarried so quickly just to make the elders happy.

now I am stuck. My love wants to get reinstated and then move from the congregation because she wants her family back in full. They do not shun her but will not go in public with her. I am indifferent towards my family. They are witnesses but they never treated me well because I was a bastard child. If they shunned me forever I would not care very much. I know I will be a better parent to my future children. Maria wants to wait until we are reinstated to get married but I am fearful they will never let me back in. Some people have told me I didn't do it right the first time I was disfellowed and that's why it took so long. I do not know what to do.

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

One word: RUN. Two words: RUN FAST.

I know it sounds harsh. I can tell you care about her very much and you seem like a considerate and thoughtful person. But what you've said tells me that she cares more about the comfort of familiar relationships than the truth. And if she chooses the cult with the information she's seen, you're setting yourself up for failure. Right now, It's just you and her. Do you think it will be harder or easier to sort things out when you're married and have a child or two?

I'm not that old but oh to be 25 again. You have so much life ahead of you. Don't make decisions based on feelings that may be over sooner than you think. I know it's hard but believe it or not, you survive! Make a clean break while the stakes are low.

Oh, and welcome :)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Welcome to the forum Art .

Do you have any pressing questions ?

How can we help you ?

• jhine
    jhine

Welcome Art ,

Jan

• stephanie61092
    stephanie61092

Hi Art!! Thank you so much for posting and for sharing your story. Your English is beautiful. First and foremost, I will never call you any names for being "the other man". I am in no position to judge anyone and anyone who stoops so low as to call you names doesn't deserve a second thought.

I can't totally relate to your situation but in their own way our situations are similar. My story didn't involve any marriages but my BF and I were both DFd. We thought about getting married and coming back together but then we learned TTATT and decided to get reinstated, get married if we still want to and then fade. That way we can have contact with our friends and family.

I don't have much advice except the advice that's been given to me. If you want to get reinstated quickly...

1) be at EVERY meeting 2) be well studied (publications highlighted and written on) 3) Sit where your elders will see you 4) if you can, let your elders know ahead of time if you're missing a meeting and have a good reason 5) Since you've been DFd before, maybe don't write your first letter til the 12 month mark, then make a request every 60-90 days.

I'm not sure how helpful I was, im still going through the process myself- this was advice I've received from others on this site. Maybe they can tailor some advice for your exact situation.

But please stick around. This is a great community and forum and you will continue to learn about the deception of the Watchtower and how to combat their mind control tactics.

• steve2
    steve2

We've all done things we wished we had not done, so I do not judge you. Alcohol plays a big part in a lot of trouble people experience. Yes, it can be really hard when someone you care for is suffering physical abuse and it's even harder when those you think should care - the elders - don't care at all for what she suffered.

Take it real slow. Don't make any quick decisions. You've now got your girlfriend to think of. While she agrees with you, she doesn't want to lose her family.

Stay around this forum and begin to develop a plan so you can find a way forward.

Best wishes.

• millie210
    millie210

Perhaps Maria would like you to be reinstated so that the two of you could have a wedding without the worry of people you love not coming.

That is certainly understandable.

You will have to weigh out is that one day (wedding) worth being reinstated for?

If it is then you have your answer. If it is not then you and Maria will have to talk.

This will be one of many difficult situations you will have to face together once you are a married couple.

Maybe seeing how the two of you handle this will help you both learn about each other and your styles of making decisions about all of lifes issues?

Wishing the best to you both.

• flipper
    flipper

The poster named OUTSIDER LOOKING IN is right. RUN LIKE HELL ! If Maria wants her family back and wants to jump through the hoops to do it fine- but it will drive you crazy having to pretend the JW's are " the truth " - when you know they are not. WT Society and WT leaders are actually running a criminal organization that has killed or caused the death of thousands of people on this planet. Refusing to allow minor children life saving blood transfusions, allowing child molesting pedophiles to remain in congregations if they allegedly " repent " and then these pedophiles rape even more JW children. And then when these child abuse victims grow up they commit suicide because the JW elders won't listen to their pleas for help but continue reinstating and sometimes even appointing child molesters as fellow elders serving in the congregation. And they forbid going to college to get a higher education.

So is THIS the organization that your love Maria is so concerned about returning to ? Sounds like you need to inform Maria about some of these criminal happenings within Jehovah's Witnesses and both you and her will have an informed decision to make. In good conscience can you support this shit ?

Why not make it easier on yourself and Maria- move away to another location and start a new life together ? Or if Maria is so intent on pleasing JW family that will judge her unfit or judge her unjustly- move on from Maria and don't let her need to be a JW screw up your life. Just being blatantly honest here- I have lots of JW family still in and they unjustly judge me - even though I'm not DFed. So it's like pissing in the wind for years trying to get reinstated when they will still treat us like crap even when we aren't DFed. We are here as a support for you my friend. You need to have further awakening and please do more research like your friends mentioned to you. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Giordano
    Giordano

Well the decision to go through reinstatement appears to be her decision. I also believe you would be better off not going back. Especially since you would have to petition the Elders who DF you both.

Respect her choice........... however her decision to reinstate should not be binding on you.

If you are both in love then live together now and see what life is like as a couple. Or if she really needs to have her family back in her life but wants you in her life as well then marry so she can have you in her life and make the attempt to be reinstated. Either way start a life together.

Being married may be her best choice as she can then start the process in good faith. It also says something about your commitment to make a life together. But I seriously think a life in the JW world will not happen for you.....since family is not an issue then this decision is yours to make.

I'd wait on children for a few more years to see what she is like when reinstated.

This is a difficult situation with a lot of emotional elements. There are a fair number of divided couples on this site where one is a JW and one isn't and they have found a way to love one another. There are also couples who have not put the beliefs behind and have broken up.

Establishing a new location away from this congregation and any close family members would be helpful. Alone time may be the right thing for now.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Yeah run she is still conected to the religion do to family and once back in she may become a full member again in her head and expecting you to do the same. Best thing cut your losses run from her and the religion I know that's harsh but you have a long future ahead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit