Apostate?

by Gig 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Gig
    Gig

I know the WTS calls anyone who leaves an apostate. But can that label be pinned on someone who has never been a JW? I also know the WTS can do pretty much anything they want, but according to their "official policy" can I be considered an apostate after only having studied with them for a time -never baptised into the org - but found their teachings to be less than the truth and said so?

• outnfree
    outnfree

Gig,

Were you an unbaptised publisher yet? No? Well, did you attend enough meetings and comment enough that they called you Bro or Sis Gig? No? Did the Circuit Overseer ever sit in on one of your studies? No?

Doesn't matter. You studied, you left. You're an apostate like me (in for almost 12 yrs, disassociated myself 2 yrs. ago) and most of the rest of us here. And you did the right thing.

So why is this bugging you now?

outnfree

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

The label apostate is used fairly flexibly in JW world and is particularly damaging to ones reputation and standing amoungst Jehovahs people. Once an associate, if you speak out against any aspect of Jehovahs Organizations (visible, invisible or derisable) you can and will be labled an apostate.

Strictly speaking apostacy involves descent on matters of belief. At what stage innocent questions become "apostate reasoning" is a tricky one. Hopefully someone with more nouse than me can enlighten us further.

best wishes, unclebruce.

ps: Maybe the word apostate will never be used in your presense but you'll know you've recieved the mark of death by the scared look in the eye of your former friends and associates.

• happysistah
    happysistah

Well...I wouldn't consider you an apostate. I really think that JW's will think you should study more and get an accurate knowledge, so to speak. Calling you an Apostate, if you only studied is really stretching in.

In my local area I have known people to study for awhile than stop studying, go to the local church and then study again. No one has ever labeled those people apostate.

Are people shunning you because you stopped studying or stopped going to the Kingdom Hall?

• Maverick
    Maverick

Gig,I believe your question relates to what J-dud Central considers an apostate. And do you fit in their definition as an apostate.

The Aid to Bible Understanding states; It is evident that there is a distinction between a 'falling' due to weakness and the 'falling away' that constitutes apostacy. The latter implies a difinite and willful withdrawal from the path of righteousness.Whatever its apparent basis, whether intellectual, moral, or spiritual, it constitues a rebellion against God and a rejection of his word of truth.

So based on that information the answer to both questions is...YES! Maverick

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Maverick is right, i'm afraid.

Even if you only associated with them for a short time they will view you as an Apostate even if they are misusing the word to stop others from talking to you. Don't be too upset, though, Jesus would have been classed as an Apostate by the Jews of his day for going against them.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Good point searchforthetruth, in fact Jesus was put to death as an apostate. The Jews merely trumped up the charge of sedition because the Romans would not let the Jews use the death penalty. Maverick

• Jourles
    Jourles

Most cults have their own definition of apostacy. Ask a witness this question: If an ex-Mormon exposed the lies and hypocrisy within his own religion, left, and then became a baptized Jehovah's Witness, is he guilty of apostacy? A witness will say "No." Why is that? It is because the Mormon found his way to the truth and in doing so exposed a false religion. But now, let's ask a die-hard Mormon whether or not this person who left is an apostate. You will get a resounding "YES!" Why that answer? Because the one who left disgraced the true Mormon religion by speaking out against it and went to join a false one - hence he is now an apostate.

It all depends on which side of the fence you are sitting on. Cults deplore the ones who leave their fold, labeling them as apostates. Ask a Catholic whether or not someone who left his church because he didn't feel what was being taught was correct, is an apostate.

We already know the answer to that question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit