The tale of two worlds

by redvip2000 4 Replies latest jw friends

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I saw this picture today, not sure you saw it as well, but couldn't resist sharing. It basically shows the existing fence between USA and Mexico. Apparently someone installed some see-saws on the fence so that children on both sides can play together.

I was struck at how this picture in such a small space captures some many differences between these two places. Nobody needs to explain which side is which. One side is orderly, clean, where the people are well dressed. The other side is run-down, dirty, with litter everywhere, stray dogs, folks with minimal clothing, dirty. It's easy to understand the appeal of trying to get over that fence.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

The fence is in their head though. It doesn't take money or good government to, say, pick up trash, wash your body and clothes in water, train animals or keep them away, etc. People just bring their bad habits with them. It takes education to undo the habits passed between generations, but it also takes respect for yourself and others and willingness. Those who refuse to enter the country legally are already far less likely to change for the better or contribute to society.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Thanks for helping us appreciate who the dirty nasty Mexicans are. Excellent investigative work. Wonderful post. Neat Blue Dog's insightful comment about dog training ... my brain is in recovery mode now from taking in all these high level ideas.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Thanks for that fact filled analysis and rebuttal.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Those who refuse to enter the country legally are already far less likely to change for the better or contribute to society.

I'm not sure if that's really true. There are many illegals that come here and become productive member of society...others don't. Many enter illegally and then work their way to become legal as well. Again many don't.

The greater point is that we need to create an incentive for legal immigration and not for illegal immigration. Reward the ones that follow process and be tough on those who don't. It's the only way forward.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit