Senate votes to codify same sex marriage into law

by Jeremiah_Weed 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Jeremiah_Weed
    Jeremiah_Weed

BREAKING: Senate votes 62-37 to break filibuster on bill to codify same-sex marriage into law:

GOP senators who voted yes:

Blunt (MO)

Burr (NC)

Capito (WV)

Collins (ME)

Lummis (WY)

Portman (OH)

Romney (UT)

Sullivan (AK)

Tillis (NC)

Ernst (IA)

Young (IN)

Murkowski (AK)

So now that this is done, how long until churches are forced to perform these marriages? Will churches lose tax exemption status if they don’t? Want to bet that Muslims and Jumpin’ Jehovahs won’t comply?

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I don't think churches are forced to perform any marriages. JW elders for example sometimes decide not perform marriages of JWs if they think they committed loose conduct or fornication in regards to their courtship. However if the law is enacted JW churches might in some sense have to recognize the marriage.

The Justice of the Peace (a government office) is still available to perform the marriages. But the same sex married couples would receive legal recognition from the government, including tax breaks for being married.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

so whats your point? they should not have voted? or they all should have voted no? or why even bother voting, its just wrong?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    “While I believe in traditional marriage,” said Sen. Mitt Romney (R., Utah), “this legislation provides certainty to many LGBTQ Americans, and it signals that Congress—and I—esteem and love all of our fellow Americans equally.”.
    Lawmakers have changed the wording of the legislation in response to concerns about how it would affect religious groups. The latest version says nonprofit religious groups won’t be compelled to participate in or support a same-sex marriage. Declining to do so wouldn’t put the group’s tax-exempt status at risk, lawmakers behind the measure said.

Wall Street Journal yesterday

• Riley
    Riley

There was a time I would have care about something like this. Then a watched a million Americans die of covid . Preachers and pastors lied to get bums in the seats and dollars in the collection plate. More people believe in the power of prayer than modern medicine.

if there is a god he doesn’t care who is buggering who and he doesn’t really give two shits about us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit