I need baptism questions asked at assemblies/when changed?

by JUSTAMOM 4 Replies latest jw friends

• JUSTAMOM
    JUSTAMOM

Hello All!

I can't find it! I know the questions they asked were different prior to about 1986? I'm thinking, but I need the article/s that show the original ques and how they changed to replacing "father, son and holy spirit" to"father, son and Jehovah's spirit directed organization."

Am I on track or not?

Help....

Thanks for the time

Justamom (Kim)

• Scully
    Scully

You'll find the new versions of the questions in the June 1, 1985 Watchtower.

At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ’s example. The first question is:

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

These were the baptismal questions from 1973 until 1985:

*** w73 5/1 280 Baptizing Follows Discipling *** If you feel the same about serving Jehovah God and taking Christ’s yoke upon you, we suggest that you consider the following two questions, which are asked of candidates for baptism:

(1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

Love, Scully

• JUSTAMOM
    JUSTAMOM

Thank you very much Scully......

I thought it was 86 not 85.... Wow you are quick!!!

Have a great day!

Justamom (Kim)

• Brummie
    Brummie

I remember studying that article when it came out and thinking "thats cool", it sounded alright in a JW mind, it wasnt until it was pointed out later, when i was leaving, that I realised how deceitful it was...durrrrr

Brummie

• onacruse
    onacruse

Scully's quote from w73 is almost identical to w55:

*** w55 7/1 411-2 Christian Baptism for the New World Society ***

18 Who are eligible for baptism? Those who at the time of coming to be immersed can stand and say, aloud before the witnesses present, “Yes” to each of the following questions. (1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him the Father through his Son Christ Jesus? (2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Christ Jesus and through the Bible under the enlightenment of the holy spirit?

Amazing, isn't it, how the divinely-guided sole channel of God's truth to billions of people today...can't even seem to figure out what should be said at baptism?

Craig

PS: These were the questions I had to answer when I was baptized in '62. The WTS can't make that "in cooperation with God's visible channel" crap stick to those who were baptized before '85, and I bet it just sticks in their craw. LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit