1 Corinthians 10:13

by IWant2Know 1 Replies latest jw experiences

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know

This may not be a topic for people who still have some sort of Christian or Biblical belief, but I was wondering what others' experiences and opinions of 1 Corinthians 10:13 are.

• New International Version
      No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
    • 1 Corinthians 10:13

Therefore, if this is message is coming from an all knowledgeable and all wise Creator Being, then this HAS TO BE true, and there's no way around it. However, in looking back on this viewpoint, it wasn't really true for me, even though I forced myself to believe it was true. 😕 Also, one of the most indescribable pains for me was having an 'issue' that the Bible did mention, but not feeling as if I was free to talk to anyone about it.

And why you might ask. Well, having an 'issue' with something that Jehovah's Witnesses find especially abominable (like the world in general), and who show total and utter contempt for it (like right-wing conservatives the world in general), how else is a scared young person in his late teens supposed to feel? And then when he finally builds up the nerve to confide in an elder as per James 5:14-16, it turns out to be a disaster because the elder knows absolutely nothing in how to counsel and help this person as per James 5:14-16. đŸ˜©

Also, it's a fact that people experience stress differently.

• Have you ever noticed that some people seem to thrive in chaos, while others get overwhelmed by even positive changes in their lives? Stress is a highly subjective experience.
    • While many of us are stressed by roughly the same things—jobs, money, being overscheduled, relationship conflict—different people may react more or less strongly to the same situation for several reasons.

Plus...

• Everyone's Body Handles Stress Differently
    • Some people are naturally more sensitive and reactive to stress. Differences in temperament and a collection of inborn personality traits can cause some people to be naturally more resilient in the face of stress while others can feel more threatened and less able to cope.
    • Three Reasons Why People Handle Stress Differently (verywellmind.com)

Therefore, to be quite honest with you, I personally have more qualms about the Bible than I do about Jehovah's Witnesses. (Yep, I said it.) Because even though the Bible claims to be universal and for all, it actually falls short on many current known facts and realities.

But does anyone have any thoughts on this?

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know

Also, while looking for articles for this topic, I just learned a term called "locus of control." It's a very interesting term, and I figure that with groups such as Jehovah's Witnesses who claim that the ultimate answer to everything is their interpretation and God-given understanding of the Bible, I would think that this is the reason why many JWs and former JWs feel as if their faith and beliefs are not living up to their claims. Because I know in my situation that's the way that I felt, even though I always blamed myself for my failures.

Your ‘locus of control’ can have an impact

“A person with an internal locus of control believes that they can create positive action in their lives through right action,” explains Marter. This is the type of person who’s more likely to try to remedy a stressful situation by taking proactive steps.

Meanwhile, “a person with an external locus of control believes that external factors determine their course in life,” she continues. “This person may feel like a victim and have feelings of hopelessness that anything they could possibly do wouldn’t help or matter.”

This type of person is more likely to feel overwhelmed by a stressful life event.

How and Why Coping Is Unique to Every Person (healthline.com)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit