D-Day, not a single JW gave ultimate sacrifice while 9,000 Americans did just that

by FatFreek 2005 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

As the major news outlets today published tributes to the 9,000 Americans who landed, and were killed, on the beaches of Normandy in the largest seaborne invasion in history -- U.S. JWs can sit back in their Kingdom Hall seats and home easy chairs, proud (and ignorant) of the facts that no JW ever killed a Nazi in France's occupation.

Today, most Americans can proudly continue to speak English instead of German, or Japanese -- partly because of those brave Americans, not a single JW among them.

Thank you to your grandfathers, great uncles, and other heroic men who never lived out the potential and promised of a fulfilling life.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FAT FREEK:

I agree with you and this never sat well with me when I was in the JW religion.

Freedom isn’t free.

• waton
    waton
    proud (and ignorant) of the facts that no JW ever killed a Nazi in France's occupation.

FF, very true, and without diminishing the respect for the valour involved, are you aware that many Europeans at the time viewed that operation totally differently, would have preferred to use other methods directed in other ways, other times?

There were ~20 000 French civilians lost too. While this was carried out, other French, Dutch were fighting a far greater evil that awaited them, a continued advance by Bolchevism, that had already, before the german push eastward, wreaked havoc in Poland, the Ukraine, the Baltics.

Politics aside, the Nazi extermination programs had to be stopped. and those whose lives were taken*** in the process deserve recognition.

For a Civilian, like a JW to kill a german, or Russian or even possibly an American soldier would have been a really stupid thing. Massive retaliation was the usual response. As documented.

WW2 was a sequel to the Versaille arrangement. Populations coming under pressure from outsiders. The same is happening in Europe again. Whenever humans keep invading, casualties will result.

We the present, are the lucky survivors of life's battles that have raged for millions of years.

PS: *** I say "taken", because it was not willingly given. Invaders come to take lives, not to give theirs. Most of those dying in Normandy were conscripts, had no choice whether to survive or die, in contrast for the 10s of thousands of French, Dutch volunteer soldiers that died on the eastern front, facing a greater than the nazi evil.

• cofty
    cofty

Pacifism is morally indefensible.

• waton
    waton
    Pacifism is morally indefensible. C

Of course, it is unnatural, we would never have evolved in a flaccid environment., arrangement
    That what made Europe great, the distinct nations, even nationalities within Countries competing, often clashing.

• waton
    waton

FatFreak

you probably did not suggest that individual JWs carry out vigilante killings on invading troops.

These desperate acts were often triggered by the brothers, fathers, husbands, friends, whose loved ones had been gang raped by the invaders (on all sides) real heroes! -- then, sadly

one desperate act in an outraged suicide mission cascaded into massacres .on all sides.

Nothing new under the sun, ordered for your favoured side, in the bible.

• blondie
    blondie

I can understand where some of you are coming from. Being in the military and risking your life on the field of combat, is a serious situation.

The motives vary. Having come from 3 generations of soldiers, WW1, WW2, Korean Conflict, Vietnam, I knew many soldiers and their reasons for being in the military and their experiences.

There were many people in Germany that fought back against the Nazi government and lost their lives, not ever firing a gun.

1) White Rose movement in Munich

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21521060

2) Ministers in Germany

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Bonhoeffer

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/03/08/obituaries/martin-niemoller-resolute-foe-of-hitler.html

3) 77,000 Germans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_resistance_to_Nazism

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

That's one thing I despise about the JW leaders and how they teach the members. They'll happily accept the freedom and privileges soldiers have fought, died, and bled for yet they won't even salute the very flag they live under that brings them that freedom.

I would have happily signed up and gone to defend this beautiful and incredible country.

• lancelink
    lancelink

when I left the jw organization, that was one of the aspects that really rubbed me the wrong way. I got involved with a group called Honor Flight that flies WW2 vets out to Washington DC for a day to visit their memorial. The ways this experience has affected me is amazing. The things those soldiers had to do-deal with is so sobering and has helped me to see that [people outside the jw mindset have truckloads of humanity,,, here is some pictures of an experience I just had out in Washington : https://www.facebook.com/sschwertfeger1/media_set?set=a.10157218875184882&type=3

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Pacifism is morally indefensible.

Of course you know that the Jehovah`s Witness religion do not claim to be pacifists ,simply because they believe the "War of the Great day of God the Almighty" is justified .

They claim neutrality of all earthly Governments having dedicated their lives to the Kingdom of Jesus Christ that jehovah God ordained .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit